a tourist in your own city
When my days are full of (unsuccessful) job hunting (save for one interview which involved a job that was 100% commission), I turn to hobbies to make sure I don't lose my mind or become a hermit. Apart from the interview, which told me that I was "not aggressive enough" for the job (challenge me to a game of Super Smash Bros., and I'll show you aggressive), I filled up my week with things I actually love to do.
Those top five things I love to do ended up being: 1) seeing people I love; 2) enjoying great food; 3) exploring my city; 4) web and graphics designing and 5) catching up on shows, namely "Community" and "The Vampire Diaries."
Here are the bits that stand out the most (maybe because I photographed them, hehe):
COFFEE & THE ADVENTURES OF THE HONEY LEMON LOAF. In southern Ontario, they dubbed Tuesday and Wednesday as SNOWMAGEDDON - didn't really show up so much in Toronto, but in my city we got mountains of snow. So I would enjoy my half hot chocolate, half coffee indoors while watching the blinding snow each morning. We ended up getting a snow day on Wednesday, and in a moment of inspiration, I decided to make something I've never made before - a loaf (Lizzy & Tiara already claimed a slice haha).
I was inspired by this recipe and then added in some honey since I didn't have too much lemon. I trekked through the snow to go to The Boy's place with this loaf and it was an amazing evening of eating, cuddling, and then napping. There's something about cuddling with someone you love (be it a person or an animal) that just warms you right up during a snowstorm or rainy days.
I was inspired by this recipe and then added in some honey since I didn't have too much lemon. I trekked through the snow to go to The Boy's place with this loaf and it was an amazing evening of eating, cuddling, and then napping. There's something about cuddling with someone you love (be it a person or an animal) that just warms you right up during a snowstorm or rainy days.
WALKING IN A WINTER WONDERLAND. And being so thankful for those moments where you realize you just stepped onto a patch of ice but instead of falling on your bum you just end up skidding along, like a .5 second skating trip (if only that could have happened last week when I had a bottle of wine in my hand -sob-). And also hoping that my city stepped up with shelters so the homeless wouldn't have to endure the freezing weather and mountains of snow.
THE YEAR OF THE BUNNY & CATCHING UP. A few months ago, I wrote about my adventures in my friend's town. I haven't seen her in ages so when she e-mailed me to say she would be at our university I cried "YIPEE!" out loud. Over lunch, it became one of those moments where you don't see someone for a while but then you just pick up right where you left off ... I'm so grateful for those kinds of relationships. We ended up giving each other little gifts - I got her a sketchbook with an adorably artsy bunny on the front since it's the year of the hare and she ended up getting me a zodiac-animal-filled bracelet of sorts and my name in Chinese and carved into a stamp. I'm going to sign all my letters with this now haha :)
ENJOYING YUMMY CHEESECAKE WITH AFOREMENTIONED FRIEND EVEN THOUGH THE HOT FUDGE WAS RATHER COLD INSTEAD OF HOT. Enuff said.
BECOMING A TOURIST IN MY OWN CITY. I've always given my city criticism; it's decent, but you might as well just go to Toronto or Niagara Falls intead of my city if you ever make the journey to southern Ontario. But lately, I've realized the efforts to make my city feel fresh, clean, inspired. I spent the afternoon yesterday with my close friend just exploring one street in my city that I've only been on a handful of times. I admired the cute, quiant shops, and the ability for this single street to make me feel like I was somewhere else. I loved this one alley - that didn't look sketchy at all - and instead just had one wall covered with graffiti. And then, as my friend snapped this picture, five people walked by and just stared, making me feel like a hardcore tourist haha.
AND MORE FOOD. Monstrous bruschetta (with a picture that doesn't do it justice at all) and a delicious pizza of bacon, goat cheese, and scallions that filled me up and made me grateful that I actually enjoy working out ... since that's what I'll be doing for a good chunk of this weekend :)
Hope you all have a great rest of this weekend! And I have to ask:
What part of your hometown do you love the most? and
Is there a place you've wanted to explore?
I challenge all of you to become tourists of the place you live :)









A twenty-something-year old Canadian lady who drinks a cup of coffee a day to keep the 





betterthancoffee@gmail.com | 2012
11 comments:
ah.. Job hunting, my mom kept asking me WHY didn't I submit even one application, I just find myself not interested with them all, although I can understand very well my mom's anxiety, I mean... me drawing and stuff doesn't see like working... *sigh*
and it's good that you spent your days with stuff you love :) that honey lemon loaf looks really really tempting *drools* and the food on "more food" are too!!! It's midnight so I'm all about food, alright? lol. I think I should try the recipe too.. :D
ahh.. walking in winter wonderland sounds soooo dreamy, especially for me, haha... since I've never really touch snow, ha! xD
o.O the gift is so cooool!!! I mean, your name in chineseee!! *freaked out* and that bracelet is sooo pretty! :D
cheesecake and me? Oh don't ask... you got my mouth all watery now... aargh...
and touring around the town is one of my hobby, it's sooo fun and exciting to find new stuffs! and new places! :D haha... one of my favorite is to roam around old town and its old buildings... I love visiting china town, and arabian town, and hints of european... ahh... <3
and and and.. I missed you! *hugs* (I think I've been saying this a little bit too often lately... *sigh)
I am drooling right now and you have my stomach growling. Have you tried applying for a job in tourism? I think you would have what it takes, to promote tourism in your city. You should give it a try. I hope you have a wonderful weekend sweetie!
I cannot tell you how much I love this post, Nikolett - I feel like I just took a trip through your hometown...and I never want to leave!
My hometown is actually Greenwich Village, New York, so I love the independent bookstores and coffee shops/cafes. They are the best in the world!! :)
I couldn't imagine working on 100% commission. That'd be so, so stressful! But I am sorry you didn't get the job - it takes a long time to find something.
All off the food in this post is amazing!
(If you're interested, I'm hosting a Shopbop giveaway!)
i love the idea of becoming a tourist in your own city! i've lived in boston my whole life, but somehow i have yet to explore all of the most seemingly common areas of interest. the esp harsh winter this year make adventures around town a bit difficult (we've been having a snowmageddon this whole month, with a new storm *literally* every week. no me gusta!), however i am def planning strolls to new city gems come spring!
good luck on the job hunt miss! something good will come along soon, and you'll definitely deserve it :)
My boyfriend is having the same problem...the only two job interviews he's been offered are 100% commission for insurance sales. Gah. But I think bringing home this lemon loaf recipe will brighten his day - he loves lemon loaf!!
As for being a tourist in my own city...we've only lived here for 5 months so I still consider us tourists. ;) But, frankly, the weather has been far too frigid for me to have the desire to explore. But when the weather improves, there's a planetarium close to us that I can't wait to see.
http://a-redhead-named-sam.blogspot.com
That loaf looks really good! all the pictures are so pretty :)
hang in there with the job hunting love. i too am in the same boat and it takes a lot of time. since you do graphics and such, have you explored freelance opportunities? i've started to do that and just got one, so don't give up! the hobbies that you enjoy are great, i love the picture of you with the graffiti in the background! food is always good (i just gained 8 lbs from spending time with BK) and exploring the city is amazing. i miss CA already. good for you for enjoying your hobbies while you have free time! ;)
You lost me on the cheesecake I don't even care if the hot fudge's cold :D
Good luck on the job hunting, love! I know it can get really difficult (it's actually one of the main reasons why I still can't leave my current job). But then when you finally found what you really want to do, it'll all be so worth it <3
SAVE ME A PIECE OF LOAF TOO!!!! :D
Don't you just wish we could do the things we love everyday!? I dream of the day when W and I can just work from home... wake up without an alarm clock, have breakfast together, design for herro hachi side by side (haha), sleep whenever we want to, etc. *sigh* someday!
You know how much i love Vancouver so i'm definitely up for being a tourist in my own city. I may or may not have shared this fact with you before but when i used to work in hotels, we would get a "tourism passport" thingy where you have to complete almost like a scavenger hunt all over vancouver, after you complete the challenge, you get a "passport" which allows you to go to tourist places for free (you + a guest) and discounted meals at popular restaurants and many more. It was sooo amazing! In fact, on my first date with W, we used that passport to go everywhere around town. I took him to the Capilano Suspension Bridge...and we're both afraid of heights so it was interesting... but he later confessed that he liked it b/c i held on to him while we were on the bridge. HAHAHA! It would have been so awesome if i still had this passport when you visited!
P.S - I googled "All inclusive vacations to the Philippines" and there were some results... not too many... :( booo-urns. I still think you should be there though... seriously, it would be awesome to see krissy, jessica, and ME (well i'm old news already...but the other two are exciting! hahaha)
I get so jealous whenever people blog about pizza. It's my #1 weakness even though it's so bad for me. I will suffer just to have a slice or two.
I am so glad that you are also into Vampire Diaries. It's the only show these days that isn't sucking (well, out of the shows that I watch). Have you ever seen an episode of Friday Night Lights? It's such an awesome show. If you are ever bored and need something to watch, invest in this show.
Glad to see that you are back to blogging!
Post a Comment