marchin' on
D'you see what I did there with that title? I have a feeling that particular song by OneRepublic will become my anthem for this month. To be frank, my February was anything but feb-ulous (OK, I need to stop with the month puns).
Behind this façade of silly statements and weekend recaps and simple smiles is left a person who is frightened about her future, frightened about what's in store for her. I hate being that vulnerable. As much as I'd love to live by my week-at-a-time mentality I so convince myself I have under control, the truth is that so much of my future is guaranteed - or not - by outside sources. Acceptance and Rejection have become the main characters in this story we call 'my life.'
These two archnemeses have battled it out to the point where I ... I have to stop relying so much on outside sources. Take matters, or happiness, into my own hands. Or at least the area of financial stability and the ability to drive (yes ma'ams and sirs, I am going to driving school in a couple of weeks, and as a twenty-two year old that's both embarrassing and frightening, but I'm ready to get my bum into gear ... or the car).
I'm ready to keep marchin' on and stand up to those figures of Acceptance and Rejection. While I may not be able to control who hires me, I can control how I react - I can either let it get to me, which is what I've been doing lately, or think there's something else meant for me; this happened for a reason. Oh yes, that cheesy cliché of everything happens for a reason will definitely become an encouraging motto, because I find it works. And another one (that I'm making off of the top of my head and I apologize to anyone who's already coined this):
Behind this façade of silly statements and weekend recaps and simple smiles is left a person who is frightened about her future, frightened about what's in store for her. I hate being that vulnerable. As much as I'd love to live by my week-at-a-time mentality I so convince myself I have under control, the truth is that so much of my future is guaranteed - or not - by outside sources. Acceptance and Rejection have become the main characters in this story we call 'my life.'
These two archnemeses have battled it out to the point where I ... I have to stop relying so much on outside sources. Take matters, or happiness, into my own hands. Or at least the area of financial stability and the ability to drive (yes ma'ams and sirs, I am going to driving school in a couple of weeks, and as a twenty-two year old that's both embarrassing and frightening, but I'm ready to get my bum into gear ... or the car).
I'm ready to keep marchin' on and stand up to those figures of Acceptance and Rejection. While I may not be able to control who hires me, I can control how I react - I can either let it get to me, which is what I've been doing lately, or think there's something else meant for me; this happened for a reason. Oh yes, that cheesy cliché of everything happens for a reason will definitely become an encouraging motto, because I find it works. And another one (that I'm making off of the top of my head and I apologize to anyone who's already coined this):
You may not be able to choose every thing that happens in your life,
but you can choose to have another cup of coffee.
And I've found that when things seem hopeless, it's better to concentrate on the things that get me by (besides coffee), things that keep me striving for the future even in its uncertainty.
01. being my sister's maid of honour
My amazing sister is planning a destination wedding in less than a year and I am honoured to be her maid of honour. The past couple of weeks have been spent picking out a bouquet of flowers and deciding on shoes, and I can't wait to help her with more details - and I definitely can't wait to see her walking down the (sandy?) aisle, with my adorable niece in front as the flower girl.
02. being a jetsetter
Although the thoughts of Europe are getting farther and farther away (mostly because I want to spend a month there), the thoughts of shorter but still awesome vacations are looming on the horizon. Namely: Cuba or San Francisco. While there are still so many hurdles to jump over before I even get to this point, just the thought of it makes me smile. (And maybe in 4 years, the Philippines/Indonesia? :D)
03. nights with my friends
Whether it's laughing over bubble tea, random photoshoots, talking about our lives, or exploring bits of the city, their presence makes my life beautiful even when things going on bring us down.
04. castle nights with my mama
As cheesy as it sounds, I look forward to plopping down on the couch and watching Castle with my mom, trying to solve the murder and awwh-ing at every Castle/Beckett moment.
05. a thousand inside jokes
Whether it's The Boy claiming that he'll dropkick a grenade for me and stop a train for me (by waving it down), saying weird phrases like "good borning!" whose origins I can't recall, or making jokes about our future lives in a home together ... makes me look forward to more inside jokes.

What helps you get by when 'the going gets tough'?
{image via tumblr, couldn't find a specific source}
Whether it's The Boy claiming that he'll dropkick a grenade for me and stop a train for me (by waving it down), saying weird phrases like "good borning!" whose origins I can't recall, or making jokes about our future lives in a home together ... makes me look forward to more inside jokes.

What helps you get by when 'the going gets tough'?
{image via tumblr, couldn't find a specific source}
And since this post is a bit of a bummer, let me direct to posts that make me smile:
"Feelin' Lucky" at While We're Waiting / "What This Little Lady Dreams About" at Little Tiara / "My Life in 5 Years" at Patikym / "Memorable Experiences" at Fab Brunette / "Preparing for a Barefoot Walk" at my teacups in peony/


A twenty-something-year old Canadian lady who drinks a cup of coffee a day to keep the 





betterthancoffee@gmail.com | 2012
12 comments:
Aww Nikolett, I just want to tell you that you are not alone. Four years ago I was so sure of want I want out of life: I wanted to be a writer, create a family with my then-boyfriend, and spend my free time exploring the world. But then Life happened, and now I am not really sure whether I am in the right path towards fulfilling my dreams or whether I need to do a complete rehashing of goals. The point is, things happen unexpectedly but at the end of the day, so long as you have your family and friends (bonus for you because you have The Boy), then everything will be okay. I actually have been feeling exhausted - not just physically, but exhausted of everything really - lately and I know I have to sit down for a while so I can listen to my heart and find out what I really want.
Bless our little hearts, that we may find the strength to go through these little bumps in the road.
And YES to you visiting the Philippines, please :)
here here, I'll hug you! *HUGS* none of us is sure of what future holds, right? but I know it's the best for us so hang on there, because happy days will come.
I find myself in a much similar state as you right now, unsure and afraid of the future, it's scary, really scary sometimes to realize that I don't know where I am going with all these... but when i look around, i find my mom and dad and brother and friends... and well... life isn't that bad anyway :D
other than make me realize I'm not alone, I see the older survive their young world, they did it, so we'll make it too! :D
okay, book your flight to Indonesia now already, mwahahahah :D
Every thing's gonna be great and fine and happy! Just stay positive :)
I think it's hilarious that you want to go to the Philippines and I don't want to even though it's my roots.
I have both been to Cuba and San Fran. Back in November, I had to choose between the two and I chose San Fran to visit my mom. But I am going to Cuba in April. You should go then too. We can hang out, read and drink on the beach and listen to music.
I'm meeting up with a friend tonight and guess what we are doing - going for bubble tea and chatting about her new boyfriend. I can't wait!
when the going gets tough, the tough goes shopping. or goes on vacation. :)
or the tough just sits down and think things through.
:)
i love cliches! haha! everything happens for a reason is right... i remember when i was still working in hotels and i badly wanted to get out, i applied to many different places where i thought i had a good chance of getting in... only to get rejected again and again... but in the end, it led me to my current job which led me to start my own business. So yes... here comes another cliche... "when one (or 10) door closes, another one opens" :)
AND YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!! Philippines/Indo in 4 years!!! Actually.. my family and i are going to Indonesia next year for our vacation. SOOO excited!!!! If you do decide to go in 4 years, i'll meet you there!!!
Life sucks a lot of the time and that's all there is to it. What always makes me happy is buying a new vibrator, but clearly that might not be the cure for your sitch. (Although seriously.. try it.. so much fun to get that kind of mail!)
Can I just say that I love your made up motto. I often choose to have another cup of coffee, it doesn't always turn out the way it should but it was my choice.
BTW I love #4. Castle is my all time favorite show!
p.s. Castle's books are just as good :D
Definitely come over here one year! :)
Aw, I have Castle nights too, with my dad. :) When I first saw Nathan Fillion on Buffy I didn't like him, I thought he was another Riley-esque type. But then came Dr. Horrible and Castle...! :D Nathan Fillion FTW!
i love watching shows with me mom - isn't it wonderful?! hang in there with the job hunt, i am sure that you will land a wonderful job and if one does not work out always remember that other doors will open for you! just think of all of the little things that you just listed that make you happy. :)
what an honor to be her MOH :) where is the wedding going to be??
Best of luck with driving school...I'll work on looking for those dresses dollface!
Post a Comment