Pages

therapeutic thursdays: comfort

A cupcake a day would probably bring an eternal stomachache, a few too many extra pounds, and would make you take cupcakes for granted. By having it once a week, once a month, or just once in a while it becomes something special, something that brings comfort.

And when the weather was disgustingly miserable and that time of the month kicked in with its punches to the gut (too much information?), having a banana caramelo cupcake this past Tuesday was the ultimate comfort I needed to take my mind off of pain, off of the weather, and just concentrate on something delicious.


My cupcake before and midway through, when I became sad that I only had one haha.

When times are rough, when there's too many things on your mind, I think it's so important to take a step back, shake yourself off, and emerge yourself into something you truly enjoy and brings you comfort to push you that extra mile and encourage you to keep going. Whether it's a walk in the park, being with your friends, taking out your camera and just taking pictures of what you see, reading a book, blasting your favourite song and making up a dance routine in your bedroom, taking a drive to somewhere you've never been before, or something food-related (yum). It could be something you haven't done in a while (for me, that's shaking the dust off my guitar and playing a tune). Or my ultimate favourite 'thing' that brings me comfort: bearhugs.

I've been making a list lately of what's better than coffee (something I attempted once on this blog and never did again, whoopsies) inspired by "The Book of Awesome." The first two things on that list are definitely #1) bearhugs and #2) cupcakes.


I feel like I'm cheating by putting cupcakes on the list since I was enjoying a coffee with my cupcake, but shhhh.

And #3) on that list of what's better than coffee are countdowns - it's officially sixteen days until I fly off to Vancouver! Whoopah! Having that moment to think about these things, to enjoy a yummy treat or a tight squeeze from someone you love, to have that satisfactory moment when the countdown turn from double digits to single digits, gives me comfort and happiness when the weather looks like this:


April showers I understand, but please go away fog and crazy gusts of wind.

I wish you all an abundance of cupcakes and bearhugs, and something to look forward to (maybe a countdown to the weekend or nicer weather?). Now, I have to ask:

What brings you comfort?
What's that thing you do
to make you feel better?


Hope you all have a great weekend!

btemplates

22 comments:

L said...

that cupcake looks so delicious, yum yum... it's so important to have those things to bring you comfort. I like this pot!

that's exciting you are going to vancouver soon. hopefully it warms up here... what general area does your sister live in? have a great visit:)

Joanne said...

I'm thinking of reading The Book of Awesome. Looks like it'd be a good read.
The cupcake looks delish!

dolce la robyn said...

i watch current favourite tv series (whatever that might be for that moment) but they always cheer me up - like most recent ones would be 1) better with you 2) big bang theory

:)

*BEARHUGS!!!*

Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky said...

books, tea and blogging bring me comfort. although i'm a tea drinker, my aunt brought me some coffee from jamaica (my favorite) so i've set the timer on my coffee maker to brew a fresh pot for me to take to work tomorrow and i can't wait!

Bree said...

Red.Velvet.Cake. That's all hahah and also reading a good book and getting cuddles from my dog :)

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmm......cupcake.....mmmmmmmm

bananas. said...

oh i'm always in the minority here as i'm one of the few that dislikes cupcakes. i always choose coffee over most sweets. unless it's cookies. LOVE homemade cookies.

too cheer myself up i like to indulge in shopping, running, listening to high intensity/"release" music, dancing, eating and laughing. at whatever. fun stuff.

Sara Strand said...

Eating candy makes me happy. MMMMM.

Nashe^ said...

Bearhugs for everyone!

Whenever I'm down I just re-watch British shows like Little Britain or Gavin & Stacey... Something about them just perks me up :D

erika sorocco said...

Coffee and cupcakes...yep, I'd say you hit it right on the head with what brings me comfort, as well. Oh, and shoes...fabulous shoes always bring me comfort - and make me giddy! :P

nitia/ monto said...

what brings me comfort is definitely music, i love coffee too..it helps me to think clearly during such a chaotic work. have fun in Vancouver :)

Anonymous said...

I don't really like cupcakes so that's more for you! What comforts me is a drive with the best of Tim McGraw and Sugar blaring. I have playlist just for times when I need a little comforting :D

cailen ascher said...

omg that cupcake looks AMAZING! i'm drooling!

tgif

krissy ♥ said...

Awww you made me want a cupcake :p


Lots of things make me happy. Skittles are my happy pills. If I have money, I shop. If I don't, looking at pretty pictures, organizing my closet, or putting on a fresh color of nail polish does the trick :)

littletiara said...

cupcakeeeeeee!!! *is gidddiiihh* hahaha :D

well... what brings me comfort is rainy day and a bed, and a free time for myself. lol, you see how lazy i am? heheh...

but of course I can't always make it rain when I need it, so... hmm... let's see... I listen to songs, I watch happy videos, well... try to either be as sad as possible (so I kinda try to empty the negative feelings) or be more positive :D

Unknown said...

*mmmm* cupcakes!!!!! I wish you could be there at my wedding to enjoy the awesome cupcakes that await!!! I'll eat an extra one or two for you. hehe! :P What brings me comfort? Family usually does the trick. Also, when i'm feeling really down and out, i call my girls for a girls night out where we can just laugh, let out our frustrations, and have an excuse to eat unhealthy foods. :P DUDE! I can't wait till you get here! I am free on Monday, the 16th but it would have to be after work hours. I get off at 4PM so i am yours after that. Is that the only day you are free?

Sierra said...

Both of the things you just mentioned bring me very much comfort. When I was in CA BK gave me lots of bear hugs and I got cupcakes too, yum! I also love to pin pictures on Pinterest, sleep a lot, and take a warm bath which also brings me happiness. :)

Adele said...

mmmmmmm... (:

Amanda said...

I am going to start wishing people "abbreviate abundance of bearhugs and cupcakes" from now on because that is awesome. :)

Sara said...

CUPCAKES!!
Cupcakes bring my comfort and a constant craving for them until I have cupcakes next! There's a little shop near where my boyfriend lives that makes the best oreo cupcakes, and the best chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes in the world!

And now you make me want the book of awesome..

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

ya i wish i could live by a cupcake a day instead of an apple a day..lol. i usually treat myself to something: a food treat, manicure, or a quick shopping spree ;)

Anonymous said...

i started to follow u baby
it will be great, if u will answer me in following and do it too <33

http://www.polinamuse.com/