Pages

a sample of memories

When I was younger, I used to adore Saturday morning grocery shopping - my family would head to the local Denninger's (which I now realize is only in southern Ontario, 'tis a shame) and I would get a sample of my favourite deli meat or some kind of treat they were setting up at a table.**

Well, since this past week and a bit has been a little on the busy side (half-studying, half-relaxing-time-as-to-not-go-insane-from-studying), I figured this post could be a sample of memories, if you will - some pictures of what I've been up to for the past fortnight. Which just about proves that whenever I'm not studying for final examinations, I'm doing one of two things: exploring the outdoors, or eating.

**P.S. It's memories like these that make me realize that I'm only getting older. No more free samples of turkey bologna for me (maybe that's why I barely go grocery shopping with my parents nowadays).

The downtown Christmas tree and The Boy hiding behind me and my large earmuffs, haha.

We went to a local pub eatery for the first time that, aside from having neat lights, specialized in seafood - and so we had, also for the first time, popcorn alligator. Actually tasted pretty good!

My brilliant university decided to schedule one of my exams at 7:30pm - ON A SATURDAY. A SATURDAY NIGHT. Even my Dad didn't understand and said, "But Saturday nights are for relaxing!" My thoughts exactly, father. So, to make the night less painful, me and my friend/classmate headed to the coffee shop across campus to study. I had the largest cappuccino ever and a delicious grilled chicken portobello wrap. Mmmm.

Not even two full days later, I had another exam at 9am. (Oh and of course, they schedule it so my last exam isn't until a week and a half later. The agony.) After handing in a paper, I decided to take some pictures of my snow-filled campus - including a bench that no one in their right mind would sit on and one of the oldest and prettiest buildings.

The rest of my week has been spent sending off Christmas cards, doing 75% of my gift-shopping, rewarding myself with some Starbucks after three out of four exams, photographing an event and attending a meeting, and playing way too much Sims 2. It's addictive. It's a problem. 

On that note, I wanted to give a big, big HELLO! to all the new followers I've just seen pop up to the side! And of course, all of you who follow this blog on the weekly-or-longer basis that I update it. Feel free to say hello!, and if you'd like me to check out your blog, I'd love to :) 

Feels strange that it's nearly the end of 2010, nearly the end of a decade (wowee). So my next few posts will probably be a recap of this spontaneous year of 2010, and what I'm looking forward to next year!

What are your plans this weekend?
Hope it's full of exploring and eating!

btemplates

16 comments:

Adele said...

popcorn alligator sounds pretty damn good!! (: and i love how everything is getting covered in snow. makes great pictures! enjoy the holidays, hun (: i hope you have a fantastic christmas and new year! all my love xoxoxo

oh and ps: i'd love to decorate your future house (;

L said...

wonderful memories & photos.

Anonymous said...

What beautiful pictures, Nikolett!

I'm desperately wishing I could be with all my friends who are surrounded by snow, and christmas festivities! Enjoy double-my part too! :)

P.S: Love you.

A New England Girl said...

I love all of these photos! :) I hope the end of term isn't stressing you out too much. I'm hoping for a swift end to it all for you... and then bring on the Christmas holidays!

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

Hello there busy girl! I lovvvvve all those photos, especially that one of the bench and the building. I bet you'll be on Christmas break soon, just hang in there. Good luck with all the exams, I'm sure you'll pass with flying colors!

Sara Strand said...

Um...yeah. You need to email me your address again. I am mailing cards out to some of my favorites. Because I'm awesome like that. ;)

I'm going to be on a baking frenzy this week and trying to get last minute gift cards for siblings. We get them one gift to open and then a gift card to a place they go to a lot. :)

krissy ♥ said...

That photo of you with the earmuffs is adorable!

How many more exams do you still have to do? I know you can trump them all Nikolett! ;)

Whew! 2011! I'm excited but kinda nervous at the same time! XD

Andhari said...

Are you getting tired of me telling you how CUTE you are?:D

I would love to grocery shop with you. You need to remind me if I buy a box of cookies too many :P

erika sorocco said...

I always find the posts on Better Than Coffee to be so comforting - like being wrapped in a warm bear hug (while sipping a frothy Hot Chocolate). Weird, right? Love this post - the photographs you've shared (and the pictures) are so charming!! :)

littletiara said...

okay fine, I've written a humongously LONG comment and I got disconnected and boom! All disappear *wails*

I'll rewrite.

ALL those foods, looks yummy! I want them all, especially that chicken portobello something, I've never tried it before but it really looks good so I should give it a shot someday =9

(and that cup of coffeeeee... ooh yum! *drools*)

and I remember last year (which is almost 365 days ago) I had my exam right at 2nd of January. That's just plain crazy, I mean, I had to study on New year's eve! (not that I really DID study, though, but yeah, you know I was supposed to study on New Year's Eve (and the new year). *sigh*

anyway, NIKKI I MISSED YOUU!!! *jumps and hugs* ;D \(^o^)/

Unknown said...

Memories are THE best!!! Happy holidays hun.

Katy said...

I use to love grocery shopping with my parents on the weekends at T&T (an Asian supermarket) because they use to have tonss of samples. I get so full off them!

Anonymous said...

7:30 in the morning!!!!!???????????


If that were me, I would have made it to class but good luck passing the exam! Oh wait, come to think of it. It did happen to me, way back in 1st year college. MATH CLASS. Needless to say, I FAILED! :D

-Alexis

Bree said...

Saturday exams suck! Luckily they don't do them at my school but my bf is always stuck with them; he had one this past Saturday too actually!

And I totally used to get free bologna when I went grocery shopping with my parents too haha

morgan. said...

ah, soo gorgeous. <3

Sierra said...

What lovely pictures and glad you got some relaxing in, in the midst of all of these exams. And an exam on a Saturday night?! That is a bit weird, lol. I am loving your cute couple picture and your food pictures, makes me miss winter since I'm in CA right now, but then again we've been smothered with rain. I hope the rest of your exams go well!