simple smiles #44
And just like that, my countdown to Europe has reached the single digit of 5 days. I'm a little burnt out from the daily 7-3 work grind to the point that I fear I'll spend half my vacation snoozing away like an old lady to catch up on sleep (though getting a free daily coffee from a teacher for the past three weeks has definitely helped!). At the same time, I'm excited to soak it all in - the culture, the food, meeting The Boy's family, food, exploring castles, food, going shopping, taking a gazillion photographs, FOOD. I know I'll be missing these following things though, the things that bring me those simple smiles:
BOOKS. (click here for a larger image) I'll admit, lately my 'reading' has been trying to do the 'medium' section of my Sudoku puzzle book, but books will always have a soft spot in my heart. Plus, my sister who just recently returned to the blogging scene has a section called "bookshelf love" and she wanted me to join in! All my novels/textbooks/comics are pretty much scattered ALL OVER THE PLACE but here's a peek at just one of my shelves - you'll find Harry Potter, some Shakespeare, required reading from university that I ended up loving, and a couple of books I haven't even read yet - whoops! I'm going to try to take a couple of books with me on my travels but I know I probably won't have time!
SUMMERLICIOUS. Every winter and summer, Toronto hosts a 'Winterlicious' or 'Summerlicious' where restaurants have set menus for lunch/dinner that are $15 and up. Two online friends that I've known since I was about 13 (so 10 years!) meet up every year and decided to try out Cafe California - it was AMAZING. Above is the warm pasta salad, which was an assortment of everything and was bursting with flavour. And after we checked out a Salsa festival, which made me wish I knew how to dance (though I'm great at the waltz) :P
ESCAPING TO THE BEACH. I finally had a day off this past Friday and got to catch up with The Boy; I owned him at skipping rocks and then had another couple of our friends join us for random times at the beach. One of the main reasons why I'm so excited for Europe is because I'll be able to actually spend time with him, since it's been such a rarity this past month.
SURPISE BIRTHDAYS & FRIENDS. Yesterday we hit up a local conservation area for a surprise birthday party for one of my closest friends and it was a blast! :) I know what I'll miss most in my month away is planned & spontaneous get-togethers with friends. We BBQed, caught up, explored behind a waterfall and just enjoyed the sun, making it the perfect three-day weekend.
My final day of the three-day weekend has been spent getting those last-minute items for Europe, trying my hand at EXTREME COUPONING ($10.99 Venus razors on sale for $6.99 + a $2 off coupon = $4.99 razors, baby!) and err ... fighting the urge to take a nap and sleep away the rest of the afternoon. Gotta start packing!!
How has your weekend been?
And what would your ultimate Europe souvenir be?
(I'm planning a giveaway at the end of August with a European souvenir!)








A twenty-something-year old Canadian lady who drinks a cup of coffee a day to keep the 





betterthancoffee@gmail.com | 2012
17 comments:
definitely postcards. lol. i'm a postcard bitch. and tees. and fridge magnets, i spose. and also depends on which country i go to, whatever they're famous for. i'm such a huge fan of souvenirs!!!
how long are you gonna be in europe again?? have a blast!
i LOVE Europe! have a great time! i think my ultimate souvenir from would be a picture of a red telephone booth! :) I love your list of books...just posted some on my blog too...reading is fun!
Before anything else I just want to say that I MISS YOU NIKOLETT!!!!!!! I've been so busy with a lot of other stuff + my netbook got busted that I haven't been able to have "online time".
Anyway, the days really flew! I can't believe your trip is just DAYS away! So excited for you, please do take lots of pictures!!! ♥
The perfect European souvenir, hmm, coffee mugs from those dainty cafes? :)
5 days! You will be there so soon!
Art? fabrics? chocolate!
enjoy!
Ohmigosh Nikolett we are book twins! All-American Girl; Harry Potter; Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging...some of my absolute favorite titles!
And the warm pasta salad...scrummy, scrummy, scrummy! I want!! :)
Wow! I'm excited for you!! (and a little jealous, of course, lol)
And I just ate dinner but damn I definitely can make space for that pasta salad!
the pasta salad looks so yummy! i love the waterfall pics.
i love europe! you're going to have a blast!
i've left actual books for ebooks *hangs head in shame* but my shelf is so crammed with books that i just couldn't fit any more. i think i'm the only person on this planet who has never read or watched any of the harry potter. not for lack of trying; i tried and tried to get into the first book but can't seem to get past the first few chapters :(
I love the bookshelf love idea! I'm going to submit mine later too even though it's sooo messy.
I was looking at your bookshelf and I have some of the same books. I loved the Sisterhood series, Angus * Full-Frontal-Snogging and The Hunger Games. I also read All-American Girl and I loved, loved, loved Love the One You're With - it's my favorite book from Emily Giffin.
Extreme couponing - I found coupons for hair dye, $3 off. I saw that they were on sale at WalMart for $8.98 and with the coupon, I only paid $5.98. Not bad for an impulse to dye my hair black before Vegas.
Postcards from Europe would be awesome!
Have an awesome trip with The Boy. You deserve this vacation and I can't wait to hear all about it through your blog and photos when you get back.
super excited for you! i love being in europe! a handsome spanish man would be an awesome souvenir though i'm not sure the bf will be happy about that! LOL i think empty beer bottles from bruge (sp?) in belgium, danish wooden clogs, the manekin pis from brussels. replica of the eiffel tower.
depends where in europe i'm going, i've traveled through italy and in venice i purchased lace and hand blown glass, in florence leather, etc
usually now my husband and i purchase 1 Christmas ornament and then i purchase a piece of well made clothing to remember the trip by
SOOOO EXCITED FOR YOU! I miss being able to countdown to something exciting, that won't happen for a while so i'll live vicariously through you. Hehe! I bought a book for our Philippine trip but i didn't even get to finish halfway! I would read a little bit before bed each night and by a little bit, i mean like... 2 pages because i was so tired at the end of the day! You will have too much fun and so many things to do, reading will be the last thing on your mind! haha! As for Europe souvenir.... i'm not really sure what unique things are there.....a mini castle? european chocolate?? haha! i dunno, i'm lameeeee!!!
Glad you are doing well and YES the beach!! I also love that you have Shakespeare on your bookshelf, that is so cool! :)
Just got back from a few trips with BK and am now trying to catch up on all of this work I have.
Happy weekend and rest of your summer!
have such a great trip! can't wait to hear all about it when you return!
I bet by this time you are already in Europe having a blast. Time flies when your having fun. I can't wait to see your pictures and to read all about your Europe trip.
Love your simple smile things - I just started rereading the Harry Potter books!! :) Have a great time in Europe!! WOW!
Post a Comment