simple smiles #45
Today was one of those days where you wake up and realize that September is already half-way gone, that the official first day of autumn is coming up even if it felt like it days ago, and that three weeks have gone by without a blog post (sorry for being a stranger!). Lately life has been a combination of these three things:
The year of the planner has begun - I started teachers college a couple of weeks ago which means writing down due dates and "do I really have to do this?" reminders (and keeping all my pens and my glasses in my Harajuku pencil case). It also means having my addiction to coffee triple and encouraged by friends - I got not one, but two reusable coffee mugs and not one, but two coffee cup cozies, including the adorable one above from Leesh as a surprise birthday gift (thank youuuuu)!
And in my downtime, I focus on those simple smiles: enjoying the scent of a creamy pumpkin candle, sweatin' to Just Dance (I am awesome at "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go") and going to Starbucks as often as I can. Yessir.
When my mind isn't being bombarded with theories and practices of teaching, I find my mind wandering ... to Europe. I'm not gonna lie, there's mornings where I wake up and wish I was back at The Boy's grandparents' house, listening to roosters nearby and actually enjoying waking up at 7 in the morning.
I miss the Danube, I miss the food, I miss the architecture. But I guess my simple smile was that I even got to go on that vacation ... and that I took a ton of photos :)
Since I can't be back in Europe whenever I please (if only!), I try to make the most of where I'm at in Ontario through:
This month has been all about catch-up and I love it - going out for dinner and Starbucks dates, random shopping excursions, laughing at ridiculous Pictionary drawings (I drew 'plastic surgery' as a girl with huge boobs and a guy standing over her holding a scalpel ... the guesses were hilarious, and just proves that I'm a horrible artist), and taking 'class photos' with a big group of people. Oh, and enjoying a delicious breakfast at 1:00 PM which included crepes, french toast, and a bucket of fruit on top (delicious).
All of those are simple smiles, but one major one is: The Boy is actually enjoying fandoms I love. He came over last Thursday for the premiere of The Vampire Diaries (ahh the last scene broke my heart) and so far we've watched the first two Harry Potter films; he hasn't read the books, but it's a start (as long as he stops calling him Harry Pothead).
Tonight I'm off to see Drive with Ryan Gosling (we were initially going to see The Lion King 3D but figured we should probably go see a movie we haven't seen before ... and that will have older people in the theatre lol). How're you enjoying the week?
Oooh, extra simple smile: forgetting to make coffee this morning, realizing how tired I am for class (which ran from 8:00am-5:00pm today) and then having my cohort group bring in STARBUCKS for the entire class. It was amazing.
What's your simple smile of the week so far?
And what's your favourite thing about autumn?
(Or spring, if that's the season coming up for you!)
P.S. Giveaway coming soon; hopefully it'll be a hoot!





A twenty-something-year old Canadian lady who drinks a cup of coffee a day to keep the 





betterthancoffee@gmail.com | 2012
11 comments:
DUDE!!! We need to battle each other on a dance game next time you're over! Once my TV cracks open, along with my XBOX and Kinect, i'm going to be practicing "Dance Central" hahaha!
I totally feel you on missing Europe... not that i miss Europe or that i've ever even been there but i totally had the same feelings coming back from the Philippines. In fact, it took me 2 months before i fully unpacked. :P I still have snacks that we bought from the Philippines and I sigh and happy and sad sigh before opening the package to eat it.
I'm guessing by the time you read this, you've already come back from watching DRIVE. WASNT IT FREAKING CRAZY?!!? Like where did that come from? I thought the movie was about driving... action... sure, a little romance then BOOM! haha! I really enjoyed the 80's feel (the soundtrack is awesome) and from a designers point of view, i cringed at the purple/pink mistral font in the beginning but it was totally fitting for this bizarre movie.
Simple smile of the week?! You know what's funny? I HAD a simple smile a few days ago and i said "hmm, this would be fun to share on boots' simple smiles posts" but now i forgot. :( OH OH OH !!! Nevermind, i remember now... (that was quick)... in the 4 years W and i have been together, i haven't cooked much at all.. it wasn't until we moved in together that i started cooking and yesterday he told me that my cooking is excellent! (who woulda thought? haha!) and that made me smile :)
My favourite thing(s) about autumn: the fact that it gets a little chillier so i can snuggle into a comforter, i can wear flats again b/c in the summer it's too hot for flats and in the winter when it's cold and rainy here, you don't wanna be wearing flats, leaves, the fact that it feels closer and closer to Christmas!
Anyway, i'll end my novel here. hahaha! <3 you boots!
Aw, I've missed your post! Yay for more coffee! XD
i always look forward to your posts. let me tell you something: you will always miss europe! we went to italy in 2007 and i STILL miss it! we still reminisce and say "remember when we were in florence and..."
my simple smiles these days are from kayla.. she's 3 and says the funniest things. even if she's silly and i get frustrated, she'll say something funny which will make us both laugh. sometimes it's hard to discipline someone when they're so hilarious.
Simple smiles...getting to spend time with ladies I love :)
Fave thing: scarves! pumpkin! apple cider! leaves! okay, I just love everything about autumn, clearly :)
My simple smile... I guess it's the fact that I get to stay in bed on this rainy day, while others have to go to school or work!
(Wow, the background looks amazing in that picture of you and The Boy!)
Drive was AWESOME! Plus, I love Ryan Gosling =)
And the best part about fall is (obviously) pumpkin spice lattes (yum) taking drives out of the city and taking pictures of the leaves as they change colour.
Plus, I love how crisp and fresh the air is =)
Yayay for The Vampire Diaries and Harry Potter - two of my favorite things on the planet!
My favorite thing about autumn...boots and Pumpkin Spice Lattes! :P
i love that pic of you 2 with the sunset! the owl thing on your coffee is too cute too!
Great post! Love your simple smile concept.
I had a student from last semester email to say how helpful the class was for him and that he got a proposal accepted from our classwork :)
and we adopted a cat a neighbor left behind.... at first it wouldn't eat, only wanted to be petted and held!
Hello beautiful!
Nikolett guess what I'm doing...Oh yeaaahhhh you know....watching Serendipity!! Ahhh <3 (It's just got to the bit where they've gone back to the cafe to get their things and they just stand staring at each other until he says, 'Let's go do something' AHHH my heart sings.
I miss you pretty lady!! Still hoping to visit your end of the world and meet you someday :-) Gorgeous pic of you and the boy up there.
xxxxx
You are using the cozy I got you. Cool. I am so glad you liked it and that you were surprised.
I totally agree with you with that last scene in Vampire Diaries. It melted my heart away. Oh this season is going to be good. It's Thursday so I can't wait for tonight.
I saw Drive the weekend it opened and I didn't like it at all. It was messed up. I am not sure if it had anything to do with the fact that I was watching it early Saturday morning. My friend and I slept through most of it.
No simple smiles on my end. I'm tired, over worked and under paid. I won't complain though, haha. Well, actually my sewing classes are making me smile. I like that I am doing something else other than watching TV and blogging.
Can you believe tomorrow is the end of Sept?
Post a Comment