Pages

a recipe for relaxation

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 1 litre of heartfelt conversation
  • 2 heaping tablespoons of thyme
  • 1 tablespoon of French roast coffee (may substitute for hot chocolate or tea)
  • A dash of cinnamon 
  • A desired amount of laughter
  • A package of chocolate, melted or chocolate frosting
  • A handful of your favourite fruit
  • A tight and squeezing bearhug (may add more) 
  • Optional: A bottle of wine (your preference) and an Enya album 
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven at 350 degrees F.
  2. Mix flour and thyme together. Add in the dash of cinnamon for a hint of spice and spontaneity and tablespoon of coffee (or substitute) for coziness and warmth. 
  3. In another bowl, combine heartfelt conversation and laughter; let it marinate for intense flavour.
  4. Fold in a tight and squeezing bearhug and add the bowl to the flour mixture. Cover with plastic and let it sit overnight for best results.
  5. Pour mixture into a prepared pan and let it bake for 35-40 minutes; it will be fully prepared when the scent tickles your nose and makes you smile. 
  6. Garnish with chocolate or frost with chocolate frosting; top with slices of your favourite fruit for added health benefit.
Enjoy:
  • To be enjoyed not in one sitting, but as servings spread out over a period of 2-3 weeks when you really need it; effects are strong and tend to be long-lasting.
  • Preferred to be enjoyed in the company of loved ones with a bottle of wine, but can also be enjoyed in solitude while Enya is playing in the background, to be followed by a session of yoga or a session of looking at things on Pinterest that make you laugh.

Earlier this week, I had my first panic attack in about three years. It was one of those situations of helplessness and feeling so overwhelmed, and it's not something I'd want to repeat for at least another three years. This "recipe" for relaxation has really come in handy. The past couple of weekends I've been able to spend indulging in delicious food at Winterlicious, seeing friends I haven't seen in so long, getting free bubble tea for being the year of the Dragon (whoop whoop!), drinking probably a little too much wine, and getting surprise calls from The Boy who calmed me down when I was feeling lost.

While ignoring the hard moments or running away from your problems isn't the best solution all the time, it does help to have distractions or people around you who are willing to listen, eager to make you laugh, and time (or thyme) to just relax. Here's what I've been up to lately that keeps me smiling on a regular basis (picure of Enya album not included since I don't actually own one haha):  

Balloons make everything better :)

Getting all spiffy for our friends' engagement party!

Our annual meet-up - this time with wine and "The Artist" (excellent film)

And complete with the best spinach salad of life (pecans, goat cheese, apples, nom!)

Here's what my iPod (I still have to name it!) sees on a regular basis:

Sally Hansen nails, Starbucks cups, delicious Belgian waffle after a night of skating in the freezing cold, and fantastic green apple bubble tea and condensed milk/chocolate toast.

And the gorgeous snowfall ... before it sadly all melted away yesterday.

My apologies for being MIA - those moments of relaxation were much-needed. If I could add one more ingredient to that recipe it'd be "watching K-dramas or a TV show of your choice" - I just started watching "Pretty Boy Ramen Shop" (very bizarre name) and it provides a perfect mini-escape. 

What ingredients would you add
to your recipe of relaxation? 

Oh, and if $ weren't an option, "an all-inclusive vacation to Antigua" would be a great ingredient to add. Hope you get to spend some time relaxing this week :)

btemplates

7 comments:

L said...

This is wonderful. I hope you have a more relaxing week... sometimes it really helps to just remember those things and incorporate them.

krissy ♥ said...

I really needed this, Nikolett. Thank you so much. Much love to you, and I hope the panic attacks don't come anymore ♥

Nashe^ said...

That picture of your annual meet-up.. the chairs are fabulous!! And you're so right, balloons do make everything better :)

erika sorocco said...

Now this is a recipe I can truly wrap my mind around. Love it! Also...your thoughts about balloons could not be more spot on. They truly do make everything better! :)

Leesh said...

I am still jealous of that free bubble tea!

Do you use the lace nail strips?

I hope you are not still feeling overwhelmed. In life and even within every year, we all go through that feeling of being overwhelmed, run down and just blah. Just know that you will get through it and see green pastures and sunny days :)

Unknown said...

Great receipe!! :) Hope all is well.

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

oh that feeling is the worst...hope you feel better! love the nails.