Pages

the road goes ever on...

It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to. 
- "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring"

I'm definitely embracing my nerdy side by starting this blog post off with a Lord of the Rings quote. But lately, that road that goes ever on and on has been on my mind (and now I want to do an extended version Lord of the Rings marathon. Anyone want to join in?). 

Friday marked my last day of teachers college, while Thursday was my last day of student teaching ... and my last day of teaching in God knows how long, since the margin for job openings are rather slim nowadays. There's this kind of aching in my heart now to get back into the classroom, even if it is a stuffed sardine portable with 31 students with inexhaustible  energy.

After two months with these grade 5s, it was on my last day that true personalities came out; I really saw transformations in my students, and the shy ones finally let loose and made me smile with their sweet cards and gifts. The best gift? A tissue-paper made purse that had "Channel" written on it!! I know I'm going to go back to visit them, since that school has kind of become my third home (my first and second homes being my own & The Boy's). I learned so much from my associate teacher and it was an experience that really confirmed that I want to be a teacher, even with the challenges and job shortages. 

Now, after a weekend of catch-up and relaxation ... the street that I'm on is Where Next Boulevard. I'm trying not to fret or panic even though everything right now is so unknown to me; instead I'm just going to try my best. Update my résumé, get my references and reference letters together, and apply to as many places as possible.

And in the meantime, find some kind of part-time job, keep going with my graphics/webdesign, look forward to the birth of  my nephew in less than two weeks(!!!), and enjoy life as best as I can.

Yesterday was definitely a good way to start off enjoying life! Me and my four best friends (one I've known since I was 7, the rest I met in my first few years of high school) finally reunited after months and months. That time of being able to catch-up over shopping and Filipino cuisine makes me feel so happy to have them in my life, and truly blessed. 

And the leftover pancit doesn't hurt, either! Here's a few pictures from yesterday and a little collage of my last week of student teaching:

I  ♥ these ladies.

At Max's of Manila; sadly not in Manila, but in Toronto.
I had a quarter of chicken, pancit canton, and garlic rice, followed by a hearty serving of the traditional dessert, halo-halo!

(1) Owl goodie bags for my students that said "Owl miss you" on the back (embracing both my nerdy and cheesy sides in this blog post!)
(2) A few samples of the art lesson for Ancient Greek pottery 
(3) The last day of class full of cards and a chalkboard adorned with "Don't go!" messages
(4) And the classic "Bump It Up" wall of a flower blooming.


My next week is all planned out: a dinner with teachers college classmates as a 'last farewell' (before our grad on June 6), heading to the gym and library as often as I can for working out and getting applications finished, seeing The Boy and catching up with friends, and then ...
Who knows? I know where I want my path to take me, but the road is unpredictable and I have no idea where it'll sweep me off to. All I know is that I want to go to B.C. in August and hopefully get a job sometime soon! Fingers crossed, please! :)

How have you spent your weekend?
How do you deal with the unknown?

Hope you had a great weekend!

btemplates

11 comments:

Leesh said...

You are not nerdy at all, you are "crafty". I love the owl goodie bags you made. Very clever.

Max's...I have never been there. Is the food good?

I am sure you will find a part-time job no problem. At least you have got it in your head that you have to update your resume and get reference letters. I need to find a job asap but I always get lazy to send out my resume.

I'm looking forward to the arrival of your sister's baby. I know I have never met either of you (wait I met your sister briefly when she delivered my cupcake order) but I feel like I know you two.

I want to go to Vancouver this year too. I want to visit Elisse and some other friends.

Hope you had a good weekend, I can't believe it's almost over.

littletiara said...

There are so many things going on in my head right now I'm having a hard time deciding which one to do first.. This is bad, because usually I end up doing nothing /sobs/

Looking at this post makes me remember few years ago when I spent my days in a village for few months, teaching kids and stuff.. To receive such innocent gifts (and letters) from them was so heartwarming :)

And how do I deal with the unknown? I'm not sure but since I'm a believer (not belieber, please) I tend to think of good things that will happen and believing that that's exactly what's going to happen.. Did I make sense? Hahah.. Oh well.. Just.. Do more things and not plan too much I guess.. :)

L said...

Congrats on being done - what a great accomplishment! I am two years out and have had my ups and downs (and am still not teaching) but I still go back to visit my practicum school. It was my second home and the people there were so supportive of me - still are. Everything will work out. Don't worry about that yet and CELEBRATE!

out for tea said...

halo halo.. yummy! love your blog!

erika sorocco said...

I LOVE that Lord of the Rings quote! You are so not nerdy BTW - I am totally into Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc; in addition to loving fashion and ballet, and all things girly. The two are a nice mix! :P

These pictures of you and your friends are phenom; and I love the little classroom pics - so cute. ALSO...I need that dessert ASAP!

P.S. I would recommend Make Up For Ever Mat Bronze in 20 - it's really incredible. Definitely worth the $32.00 as it is one of the best. If you're looking for something a bit more affordable, try Maybelline Fit Me Bronzer - another awesome product! :)

Nashe^ said...

That dessert looks real fun!

I'm looking for a job, too... All the best in your job search!

Safe in the Steep Cliffs said...

you tried halo halo?! what did you think about it? i think making it is complicated because you have to have the right ingredients and at the right amount or else it won't taste that good. idk just my opinion. mannnn you made me miss eating filipino food now! haha... it's been a while.

Anonymous said...

embrace your inner geek, woman; embrace it because it's all kinds of awesome.

i am extremely jealous of your eating pancit. that is one of my favourite filipino dishes!

i'm sure you'll find a job quickly. the first step is updating your resume and collecting your references. i wish you all the best!!

Lisa Lisa Lisa said...

Congratulations! You have reached an important bench mark. While things will still be hectic, it will be in a different way. Sometimes a different kind of chaos is refreshing.
Your students sound amazing and I am sure they will miss you.

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

those owl bags are cuteeeeee! How did you like the halo halo? I'm in the Philippines but I haven't had a halo halo in ages. Now you have me craving for some. =)

Emily said...

I sympathise! On the "Where Next Boulevard" myself. Just graduated from college, and slightly terrified of the world beyond brick classroom walls.

Good luck in your travels off into unexplored territory. And I commend you for your great attitude.

All best,
Emily
http://booksandliquor.com