that's amore
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I have to say, I really do love the weekends. Especially the long ones. Easter seemed to come and go in a flash, leaving behind great memories of having a bash/"ta ta for now" party for my friend as she goes to Africa for a month, having The Boy come over for Easter dinner with accordion in hand (and my dad playing a few awesome tunes) and a bunny coming to watch us in the backyard, and going out for coffee with one of my best friends at one of the only places open on an Easter Sunday: McDonald's.
This past weekend I embraced my inner zebra with a striped top (that I had just bought a couple of hours earlier) for a wildlife-themed birthday party where I had way too many jaggerbombs but had a blast dancing the night away.
So before I get into what I really wanted to talk about, here's a little peak at what I've been up to the last couple of weeks (and, um, where the heck did April go?!):
Admiring Nature: The top row are from my walks back from the gym, and the bottoms two are from a camp we went to as a field trip for the grade 5s. One student said they should "tear the forest down and build a shopping mall" which almost made me weep for humanity, so instead I looked at the lake.
Simple Smiles: In the form of a "congratulations" card from my students on my evaluation day from my faculty advisor (I received a perfect score!), Second Cup for a caffeine fix, a surprise gift from Taiwan in the shape of Taiwan from my dear friend, and pizza ... because pizza is the best.
Easter Weekend!
Rawr! Yes, most of my friends are Asian.
And some silly pics :)
And while I spent half the Saturday in supreme hangover mode, it was Saturday night that brought along the most thoughts ... we spent the evening at another couple's house and got onto a conversation about how we hope that, when we're our parents age (45+), we'll still be in love as when we are now. I look at my parents, who still have such affection for each other after all these years, and hope I'll be the same way.
While one friend remarked that he would always treat his lady as a princess and give her everything she wants, it got me to thinking about the way I love, and the way I want to be loved.
When I think about my relationship with The Boy, he treats me with that chivalry from ages past and I am so grateful for that. But when it really comes down to it, I cherish our relationship because we try to treat each other as equals. My feelings for him go deep; I need to give him the love he needs, and I hope he needs and wants to give me the love that I need. I never want to have him suffer to make me happy, just like he shouldn't expect me to suffer hardships to make him happy. If that makes any sense.
In essence, it's about those small gestures. I'm all about the simple smiles, and while flowers and chocolates and diamonds may be nice, I cherish those smaller things that can be done on a daily basis, almost effortlessly. A squeeze of a hand, a post-it note or text message to say "I love you", cooking a favourite meal. That's the way I love.
Lately I keep hearing about the 5 Love Languages, so I took the test, and lo and behold, it's physical touch. So, if we ever meet in real life, prepare for a tight hug to show you I care. But it also goes beyond that; I'm not the perfect girlfriend or perfect friend, but I try my best to show someone that I'm willing to go the extra mile for them, because, as L'Oreal puts it, they're worth it. And I am so grateful to have their love in my life.
What's the way you love?
How do you want to be loved?
Hope you're not having a case of the Mondays/Tuesdays like I am,
and hope there's sunshine wherever you are right now!







A twenty-something-year old Canadian lady who drinks a cup of coffee a day to keep the 





betterthancoffee@gmail.com | 2012
10 comments:
I think I'm kinda bad in gesturing my feeling... I kind of shied away when it comes to getting physical.. I kinda need a lot of warm-up (yea, my ex did point that out heheh) but I love it, all touchy feely, I fell in love when someone held my hand because I feel save and warm.. But me, I think I express myself better with words.. Which explains why I love blogging and twitting so much :D I love love letters, because I can keep it and blush all over again when I read it heheh...
weekends are definitely the bestest! just because you get to relax from reality xD i love those photos that you took. specially the admiring nature one. are those instagram photos?
weekends are definitely the bestest! just because you get to relax from reality xD i love those photos that you took. specially the admiring nature one. are those instagram photos?
Awww this is such a nice post! Love it! And in that last row of photos, your Boy looks so much like my British tutor, I was a lil shocked for a moment, haha!
(And I know what you mean, sometimes I look at my parents still being silly together after 25 years, and I know I want that sort of love, too. ^^)
such a nice post; i loved reading this.
i'm about gestures as well - small gifts, thoughts, emails, words, hugs.
and great pics; you two are so adorable!
I have to take that test - I want to know the answer!
You are too, too cute! I basically love your hair; and that pizza looks so incredible! :)
Can I just say that I love your pictures because you always look so incredibly happy and you obviously love life. You are always so upbeat and positive and it makes my day a little brighter seeing your posts and your comments. :)
It's so wonderful to be with someone that makes you feel like that! And thanks for the coffee eye candy. :)
Love. What an interesting way to approach the topic. Love can be used for good and bad. I agree that we need to work very hard to understand how our partners receive love. Have you heard of the love languages? I think you'd like it! It is about the different ways that people understand love and show love. If we spend a great deal of time demonstrating love in a way our partners do not understand, then both parties become frustrated and feel unloved. No wonder so many relationships go wrong! It is more than loving someone. It is also about awareness.
I love what you wrote about your relationship with The Boy. You are wise beyond your years.
Post a Comment