Pages

when i grow up...

When I was younger, I felt the number one question asked at school (besides "does anyone have any questions?") was "what do you want to be when you grow up?" This question both inspired me and frustrated me. I had my dreams for the future, but was annoyed that we were constantly forced to keep our eye on some distant unforeseeable future - why couldn't we enjoy being kids? It's not like I was Peter Pan and refusing to grow up, I just knew that whatever answer I gave then wouldn't hold true now. 


Around the age of eight or nine, I decided I wanted to be a priest. I would set up my bedroom with teddy bears sitting in their 'pews', taking some crackers from downstairs, and perform the mass - giving the "bread" to the teddy bears (though I would just eat the crackers afterwards). Then I realized the obstacle: females weren't allowed to be priests. So I frustratingly gave up on that idea ... and now have a bizarre amount of opinions on the church.

A year or so after, I decided I wanted to be a librarian. I would take all my books off the bookshelves, fill out cards for whoever was taking out what, and then take a little pen and "scan" the barcode of each book. I'm not sure where that dream went, but seeing that it's all done by computers nowadays with no personal touch, that dream didn't really go anywhere.

Whenever the Olympics were on I would dream of being a gymnast or a skater; I would hop onto the top of my couch and go from one wall to the other performing 'gymnast moves', or twirl around on my tiled kitchen floor doing a 'triple sow cow' (that's what I thought it was called). But then I'd hear the stories that the athletes had been training since they were five or something and realized I didn't stand a chance.

The dream that lasted the longest was also probably the most ridiculous - I wanted to be a singer/songwriter/actress/script-writer - all at once. I was obsessed with Spice Girls and Britney Spears, and wanted to be up on a stage performing like them. I had daydreams about being discovered in a mall for a part in a movie (given that my city isn't a hotspot for movie-making, this would never happen). I would write song lyrics and create album covers for my made-up girl group Sunflower Girls (best name ever, huh?) and would write plot outlines and little bits of script for whatever movie I was going to 'star' in, usually co-starring with Leonardo DiCaprio or whatever actor was hot at the time. 

I would sign up for every air band and talent show my school had, auditioned for one of the school plays, and then got my chance to dive into 'film life' during university. After all this, it's safe to say I'll never win a Grammy or Oscar, but that's okay with me.

Alongside this quartet of careers was another set of dreams - to be a teacher/novelist/web-and-graphic designer. This answer to "what do you want to be when you grow up?" is the one that has survived to this day. I realized it in grade ten during careers class (which I felt was a pretty pointless class) - it would be great to interact with others in an environment where I'd teach them but I'd also learn, and during the summer months I could just write or design. While I've been doing the latter two for a while, the first dream keeps meeting an obstacle: namely, getting into teachers college. So we'll see how that goes.

After all this, I've asked myself why the answer to this question automatically has to be a career. Or why it was to be something tangible - married, white picket fence, 2.5 kids or driving a luxury car or making sure I see place A, B, C before I turn 25. Me and my closest friends recently came up with our own bucket list and I love the idea of these lists for short-term goals and ideas ... but being asked when you're 10 to see where you'll be when you're 30 just doesn't seem logical. 

Although I'm technically an adult, when I grow up I want to be two things: happy and secure. Happy with what I have, who I'm with, and secure with a roof over my head and enough food in my fridge. Who knows what career I'll end up in - if I could be paid to be a student, I'd be a student forever.

This whole jumble of words is a bit of a process for me ... I've been known to hold onto the past too much, known to let it affect how I see things presently ... but now I just want to see the past as steps to where I got to now, that I need to keep climbing higher instead of lingering two floors down.

Long rambling post is long and full of rambling!
What dreams did you have when you were younger?
How did you envision yourself 'growing up'?

btemplates

13 comments:

Unknown said...

ahhh, i love posts about dreams... as you know :) i had many dreams when i was younger.... i had the same singer/song writer/dancer/musician dream looking up to spice girls, hanson, backstreet boys and the moffatts. (side note - no wonder we were both so freakin' good singing in the car with air intruments, hahaha) ...today, i realize that my dream is just to do what i love because things change but what you love will stay the same...at least for a long time. ;P by the way, after reading your post, it reminded me of this...http://shop.holstee.com/pages/about

dolce la robyn said...

this is not long at all. i enjoy reading it that i don't realize the length.

btw, i used to dream of having a happy family.

subconscious i guess. :p

AmyK said...

I always hated that question, too: "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I learned at an early age that things don't always go according to plan--and so far they haven't at all. All that career planning and whatnot that we had to do in school was a waste of time for me, 'cause none of it has gone according to that plan. Funny how that happens.

Sara Strand said...

I wanted to be a singer. Even though I knew I had no singing talent I figured I was better than Debbie Gibson and SHE got to wear the floppy hats I so badly wanted.

Then I wanted to be a teacher. But then literally everyone told me I couldn't be a teacher. So I went to school to be a secretary, which I love. It's the best job if you want to makes lists and cross things off over and over again. But now that I've done that for a few years and I know I'm the best at it as I can be....I wish I were a teacher. Oh well.

littletiara said...

:) when I was a kid, I wanted to be lots of things, one of it was kindergarten teacher, which seems quite impossible looking at my own self now, or maybe not that impossible? my friends say instead of teach them things I'll just steal their colorful toys, lol. am i really that bad?

then, I wanted to be an architect, but I kinda gave it up when I chose french lit as my major, yes, I had to choose between architecture and french lit, I don't know if it was a wrong decision but I know, I still have soul for architectural-related stuff (like, the architect, maybe? lol) which made me excited when I was with le boy :)

now, I still want to be an artist, writer, and an entrepreneur. I have to confess I am not one who wants to spend my day behind the desk and piles of files to read and waiting to be signed, although sometimes seeing my mom doing that seems pretty cool. haha...

all in all, what I want the most is to be happy, a good wife and mother, some hardcore feminist would hate me for this, but really... I love dedicating my life to people I love and I can't wait to build a little family, with.. whoever my soulmate would be ;)

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I STILL wonder what I'll be when I grow up. HA! I always thought I'd be an attorney. Came really close and realized that it wasn't for me. I'm grateful, because then I wouldn't be able to be living out my passions which are writing and fashion!

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

Oh yes, I remembered this was not only asked in school but it was asked by aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends parents. I've wanted to be a lot of things at different stages. I wanted to be a singer too, actually I still do but I doubt anyone will discover me since I am only singing in the shower. Hehehehehe..Have a great weekend my dear!

krissy ♥ said...

I missed you Nikolett :)

I dreamed to be a painter (but I cannot even draw to save my life so...), a ballerina, a teacher, a DJ, an MTV VJ, a cashier (because I thought all the cash in the tills are theirs LOL), a businesswoman, a scientist, an astronaut, and my most recent and fervent dream, to be a writer. I still haven't achieved that, but with my blog, I know I am much closer to my dreams than ever :)

And did you know that sunflowers are my favorite flowers?? Sign me up for Sunflower Girls stat! :D

I loved this post, I can totally relate as I've been thinking a lot about growing up these days :)

Anonymous said...

Isn't it all part of growing up?

We see different things and as little kids, we want to do it because as little kids we don't know about boundaries and limits.

Maybe we should all think about thinking like little kids again. No limits, no boundaries. Do whatever job we want.

Harini said...

Even i was like that. I dreamed to be different things while growing up. Even now I want to be many thing but basically Happiness is what we all want. Happy and loved is what we want to be i guess.

Adele said...

i've never really had an exact idea of what i'd wanna be when i grew up...it's always been a long discovery process (: but to be honest i sometimes feel like a teenager still (though im already 24 eeks!), im at a place where im just praying and trusting God with my future..(: and it's such a peaceful feeling! xoxo

Nikolett said...

@ Kym: LOL we clearly need to start our own professional airband! And thank you for that link, I love it :)

@ de.lizzy.cious: Thank youuu :) And yeah ... I hope you get that happy family. I hope I'll have one of my own one day, too.

@ AmyK: I hear ya ... I wish they taught us that nothing in life really goes according to plan, and that you need to have back-up upon back-up plan. Or maybe they should have taught us to live life with more spontaneity or something. :)

@ Smart Ass Sara: LOL we should go egg Debbie's house or something ... or steal all her floppy hats :) And ah ... secretary is my back-up plan since getting into teachers college seems to be the hassle of a century. Meepers.

@ Little Miss Tiara: Haha, I think you'd be an amazing teacher :) And French Lit is definitely a different kind of major ... I guess the thing I love most about college/university is you can go back whenever you want to learn more :D And I'm definitely not a hardcore feminist, so you keep dreaming that dream!

Nikolett said...

@ Kristin: I think the thing I love most about plans that fall apart is you realize the things you really love doing ... which might be better than knowing what you should/want to do with the rest of your life :)

@ ChinkyGirLMeL: LOL all I am imagining is some creepy record producer sneaking into your house while you're showering and going, "YOU HAVE AN AMAZING VOICE, LET ME SIGN YOU." So creepy! And thank you, my weekend was pretty chill which I loved!

@ // krissy ♥: I've missed you too <3 not blogging for a while just didn't feel right! I love all your dreams -- LOL at the cashier thing, that'd be awesome if they could keep all the money :P And I'm DEFINITELY making you a member of Sunflower Girls, teehee :D

@ Jewels Diva®: I agree with this ... I think there's nothing wrong with thinking this way, I just disliked how teachers made it so that you only could have that one dream to focus on; I hate boundaries like that.

@ Harini: Happy and loved sounds amazing to me :) I think what matters most to me is not so much what I'm doing, but just making sure I love doing it.

@ Adele: LOL we are so in the same boat, m'lady. I'm 22 and still feel like a teenager ... and I salute you for being at peace and just trusting, makes life a bit more bearable :)