love is better than coffee
Last week was my week from hell (and I know for many others, it was a week of tragedy). I had felt like I was hit with the gusts of a thousand plagues; I had the flu, a cough, a cold, the whole works. The one day that I did go outside last week was to go to do a small bit of Christmas shopping and mail out my Christmas cards; and it was on that day that I was reminded of the goodness in people, that infectious Christmas spirit (this was the day before the shooting in Newtown, which dampened my spirits, and my condolences go out to all those affected).
But from the girl who randomly complimented my coat as I was getting off the bus and she was getting on, to the nice salespeople at Chapters and Starbucks, to the lady at the post office who took off tax, to the bus driver who said, "Hello! How are you doing today?" I had a genuine smile on my face, and was also a little resentful that I was homebound most of the time and couldn't go out and see that Christmas spirit more often. I was also missing The Boy, my friends, and my sister like crazy (my sister can't come here for Christmas anymore, but I will come visit you, don't you worry! And umm, Christmas Eve Skype date, please?).
And then it all came to a head on Sunday morning. I had slept in and my parents were already out, and I found myself starving since I usually don't sleep in until 11:30am. I ate brunch and realized that I wasn't chewing properly and it was hard to drink. I went upstairs to brush my teeth and realized that I couldn't move the left side of my face. I tried to smile at myself in the mirror and my smile was coming out crooked. I couldn't properly close or wink my left eye, and it felt like I had been shot up with Novocaine It was paralyzed. And I was terrified. The first thing I did was call The Boy at work, who started going through all the options and told me to get my parents to come home right away.
As soon as my parents came through the door I cried out, "I can't move the left side of my face!" and we immediately went to the hospital; by some stroke of luck, I was in and out of there in half an hour and the nurses and doctors were so incredibly kind. Aside from my food poisoning/dehydration in Hungary a year and a half ago, I hadn't had to be admitted into a Canadian hospital since I was born.
Fortunately, it's not a stroke. I have something called Bell's palsy, which is the inflammation of nerves causing temporarily paralysis in the face, usually either brought on by a cold or because it runs in the family (in this case, both, since my grandma had it once). I was put onto steroids and have an ointment for my left eye that gives me blurry vision but allows my eye to not dry out, and it should be back to normal in two weeks or so. But it was such a frightening feeling, not knowing what was going on, not being able to voluntarily move my face which normally is so expressive. On the other hand, I know it could have been much, much worse.
It's really been in these last few days that I've realized that love is better than coffee. From the outpourings of well wishes from best friends and blog friends, to the random surprises from The Boy who gave me flowers and a bag of candy to make me feel better, to the little things like my mom making me breakfast and showering me with hugs ... when scary things happen, as scary as they may be, love is one of the best things to respond with. It might not make the scary thing go away, but it eases the pain.
To end this wall of text, I hope that you've been having an AMAZING December so far, full of great times with family and friends. Since I'm most likely going to be homebound on and off for the next couple of weeks, I'll definitely try to post more often. For now, here's other things that brightened my otherwise dismal week:
(1) Mail! My new favourite shirt from Kym @ herro hachi, and Christmas cards from Tasha and my sister. Thank you so much ladies :)
(2) Watching a pretty sunset on my one evening out of my house.
(3) A get-well soon package from The Boy with flowers, strawberry kiwi juice, and chocolate.
Now to brighten up this post:
What's made your December bright?
And what's better than coffee (or your favourite indulgence) for you?



A twenty-something-year old Canadian lady who drinks a cup of coffee a day to keep the 





betterthancoffee@gmail.com | 2012
12 comments:
omg thank goodness it wasn't as bad as you thought it was! although it is still bad :'( i hope you'll get better soon... i read you twitted about this but i had no idea of what to write or anything so i held myself in... but now that you've explained everything i wish you a super duper speeeeedy recovery~! ♥♥♥
and at random times, strangers love is the best cure for unsettling feelings and bad mood... i guess that's one reason why we have strangers around us... i mean, of course we know that our parents and families love us... but to receive some warmth from people we don't have any idea about is a refreshing thing... sorta reminds me that there is indeed good things in this messy world we're living in right now... ;)
wow.. look at me preaching~! lol... i missed you and your blog posts and i miss writing a blog post too... i wonder what makes me (and you, and the whole blogsphere) lost our productivity to write... hmmmm...
Oh my, this post made me cry Nikolett! I'm sorry I didn't know you have been sick, I would've sent you different links to funny websites to make your stay at home more bearable. You know what, I'm going to do just that once I publish this comment. I pray you are feeling much better now. That surely was scary, but I'm glad it didn't worsen. I hope you recover fast enough!
Now to answer your questions, seeing the Light and Sound show at the Ayala Triangle Gardens made my December bright. It's just so festive! You should Google it and check out the photos and/ or videos :) It's right across my office so I have the chance to see it every night after work. :) As for my favorite indulgence, aside from books, definitely chocolate milk tea! There's a milk tea place in our cafeteria downstairs and wow, it's just soooo good. Not so good for my bloated tummy though, but whatever, right? :D
I love you, m'lady!
i really hope that you make a speedy recovery!! i've known some people who have had bell's palsy and it went away after a few weeks for them.
the kindness from strangers helps us all remember that there is good in a world that sometimes seems so filled with evil.
i've discovered a love for peppermint mocha coffee so that's an indulgence for me!
Oh my gosh, girl! Geez, I wish you a speedy recovery! I would be terrified too, probably just start crying and have a panic attack lol
Making my December bright? Being able to have the tree on when I get home from work, and getting together with friends (potlucks, secret santas, etc).
I'm glad it's 'only' Bell's palsy. Speedy recovery to you! The scariest thing to happen to me was an allergy attack that meant I couldn't breathe for a full minute and absolutely thought the worst. (and I didn't tell anyone coz I thought they wouldn't think it was a big deal).
My December is looking good s far, and knowing I will be spending New Year's eve with a couple of my closest friends makes me all happy inside. :)
Ohmigosh Nikolett this post terrified me before I read it all the way through. I am so glad that you are doing better now, and that you have an official diagnosis. You must have been so scared {I would have been}.
I am just so glad that you are on the mend now; and that you have such an amazing support system rallying around you. :)
Eek! I am glad you are doing better. I hope you are enjoying the holidays and get some family time soon!
I can only imagine what a scary experience that was! I'm glad you are okay now and i'm sorry to hear it was such a trying week! You are completely right that love makes everything better... actually, i'm not sure if you knew but my tattoo on my back says in latin "love conquers all" It's a good reminder for me!
To answer your questions, just being with family and friends has made my December bright... especially now that we have a new addition to the family :) <--- that as well is better than my favorite indulgence!
Sending much love and hugs from Vancouver! xoxo
I'm sorry to hear about the health scare, but glad that I diagnosis was found quickly and you are on the mend. The experience, it seems has allowed you to appreciate Life even more fully - thank you for sharing!! December is rolling by too quickly!
How scary! I'm glad you're OK! Sending holiday cheer from the states! xo
It must have been a scary experience but I am hope you are on the road to recovery.
December just flew by. It's hard to believe that 2012 will be over in a couple of days.
Thanks again for the gifts. I can't wait to use the cozy when I am back to work. And for sure you, Kat and I must meet for a winterlicious dinner.
Oh wow that is such a scary situation!! I'm so glad you are okay. If that happened to me I would totally freak out. ;(
I love receiving nice and random gestures from people too and because of that I like giving them too. Small things like that always make you feel good!
Post a Comment