my modern form of therapy

About two weeks ago, I started writing a novel without planning it whatsoever. I just thought, "Why not write a story about a tech-obsessed girl in her mid-twenties, working at a graphics design company and dealing with love lost and current crises?"
Almost the story of my life, save for the age and occupation. But I've found, more than anything, that writing it has become a form of therapy for me. While I have blogs/journals that I talk about daily life with, reflecting on past mistakes would just bore everyone beyond relief. Writing it out, even with falsified names and exaggerated situations, helps me realize that it was better to lose what I thought I loved in order to find that someone who I do love.
This weekend, me and The Boy are celebrating our one-year anniversary. It might seem like a small milestone compared to so many who are onto their two, three, or sixth+ year together, but to know that we've made it to one year without him ever making me cry, without him cheating on me, without him making me feel lesser than him ... is amazing. FYI, those three criteria were exactly what my ex-boyfriend did to me on a continuous basis. I'm a smart cookie.
Regardless of whatever I've done, writing it out helps me put things in perspective and truly helps me to appreciate what I do have now, rather than obsess over what I don't have. I don't have a gorgeous apartment in Europe above a coffee shop where I'd go with my laptop to have breakfast with The Boy and write novels ... but I do have The Boy, love, and a Shakespeare course to get an A+ in over the summer. So at least that's something!
Also, Margarita over at Ramblings Of A Fab Brunette gave my blog an award! Yay! Even though I'm just getting started and have a lot more planned, it means a lot!
Rules
1. Pass the award on to five other blogs.
I bestow this honour to the following blogs:
1) Sushi Cat
2) Twenty Four Carat
3) Chick Lit Is Not Dead
4) Ask Allison
5) Cafe Fashionista
2. List five of your fabulous addictions.
My five fabulous addictions:
1) Coffee. Gimme any kind, as long as it has a hint of sweetness.
2) CoverGirl Wet Slicks Fruit Spritzer lipgloss. The first drugstore lipgloss I've found that doesn't dry out my lips! (Miracle.)
3) Europe. Anything to do with Europe.
4) Strawberry kiwi juice. It's yummy with anything.
5) Carrying my Marc by Marc Jacobs wallet around like it's a clutch!
3. Copy and paste the rules and the instructions below.
Instructions: On your post of receiving this award, make sure you include the person that gave you the award and link it back to them. When you post your five winners, make sure you link them as well. To add the award to your post, simply right-click, save image, then “add image” it in your post as a picture so your winners can save it as well. To add it to your sidebar, add the “picture” widget. Also, don’t forget to let your winners know they won an award from you by emailing them or leaving a comment on their blog.
Now I'm off to bed!


A twenty-something-year old Canadian lady who drinks a cup of coffee a day to keep the 





betterthancoffee@gmail.com | 2012
4 comments:
Thanks for the shout out! xoxo Liz and Lisa
Great post :)
A lot can happen in a year, so don't diminish your landmark! The hubs and I were engaged in less than a year. Married in less than a year after that and knocked up less than a year after that. Good luck with your novel!
I didn't even realize that you gave this to me until now. Thank you so much! :)
Post a Comment