simple smiles #5
I've never been much of a napper. I'm the type who wakes up instantly, turning off the alarm right away, and going through the whole day until it hits midnight.
But after getting used to 2 months of waking up at 9:30 every morning, today's 5:30am wake-up call left me drowsy and dazed. Of course, I had to keep going since I started my first day of work (at a high school's summer school as an office tutor) today at 7am. I skipped breakfast (save for three cookies) and skipped coffee (*sob*) to catch the bus. I was the first one there at 6:50am, and the office was still locked. I was pretty much ready to crawl into bed!
So today's power nap was a joy and left me with a simple smile. I only slept for an hour, but it was beautiful. I curled up in a ball, threw a pillow over my head, and felt a surge of energy return to me to last until the evening. And then I made myself an iced coffee, which inspired this recipe of the week, German Style Eiskaffee, which I personally cannot wait to try out!
Another little moment of happiness was winning Aubrey's giveaway for a metallic cork mousepad -- she's so sweet, and I can't wait to have an amazing piece of decor on my desk! -- as well as stumbling upon this quote.

So many people strive for perfection, getting surgery to fix the tip of a nose that was beautiful to begin with, always thinking that what they have is never enough, will never get them what they want. I think the trick is, using what you have to accomplish what you can, rather than trying to fix yourself to attain some sort of happiness. Just my 2 cents on the matter! :) Everyone's beautiful, and there is that somehow out there that will love you for your flaws and for everything you are.
Also, I have a little ways to go until I hit 50 posts, but once I do, I'm planning a giveaway as a big thank you to those who have followed and the many friendships and blogs that I've added to my life daily! Yay for simple smiles all around!
What made your day today?


A twenty-something-year old Canadian lady who drinks a cup of coffee a day to keep the 





betterthancoffee@gmail.com | 2012
22 comments:
Well done on winning the mat - I have starred this post as I just love the message, it's brilliant. I might take a pic on my phone and send it to my friend cos she is really down at the mo :) xx
my son totally made my day this morning...ok my kids make my day everyday....but this morning he was hilarious in the car trying to sing along the with the radio to an MJ song!! hahah LOVE IT! SO ADORABLE!!
<3,
Iva
I love power naps! I am only new to them as of a few months ago- when I was at university, I could run and run and run for weeks on end on just a few hours of sleep a night; now I find myself dragging and incapable of doing so! It stinks!
Love that quote you found- it has always been one of my favorites. I used to have it on a post-it on top of my laptop. It's timeless. :)
powernaps are awesome. i can nap anywhere. usually when i'm in the car with someone, they complain that they're talking to me one second then they turn around to find me fast asleep. hahaha! how're you liking your job at the high school?
and i agree with you on your take about people striving for perfection. perfection is unattainable! and this is such a hard thing for girls especially with the media out there, even i'm still learning to accept that God's created me this way and i should be happy with that, flaws and all...and thankfully i've found somebody who loves me inspite of the flaws.
what made my day today? hmmm...its pretty silly but i got to sleep in 2 hours later than usual because i had a doctors appointment :) haha!
I'm glad you had such a great nap. We can swap amazing-nap stories soon (; So true what you say..I believe contentment is the greatest thing to have (: YAY for your 50th post..I'll surely be here to congratulate you when that happens! xx
that quote is perfect and i love it! i wish more of us could see life that way. thanks for sharing. that just made my day! :)
i wish i woke up every morning when my alarm snoozes. the wierd thing is..if my alarm goes off before 7.. i jump out of bed..if it is after 9..i snooze until the cows come home! but a little nap is usually thrown into my day somewhere ;) congrats on closing in on 50!!
I'd have to say: seeing MY name right here on YOUR blog :)- Girlie YOU made my day and made me smile! Thanks.
Haha, I'm like Kym! I can nap everywhere, even in cinemas while watching a movie. I don't get bothered by noise or anything. Crazy!
And that thing on striving to look perfect. Well, I'm one of those people who's not satisfied with that I have, but never did it cross my mind to go under the knife. Just the thought of scares me. I don't think I have the courage to actually get my nose done, or have implants. Those things are just downright frightening!
And by the way, congrats on what you just won. You deserve it. Your one of those blogs I love reading! Keep your posts coming! :)
I cant help not napping due to my very obvious insomniac state. I usually nap when I watch TV, just like a 70 years old grandpa. :P
oooh! power naps. how i miss and love them
sigh
i used to think i was such an old lady for always needing and wanting to sleep a little during the day. glad to know i am not alone!
they`re actually quite productive! somebody start a petition!
My beautiful cushion arrived!! x
ahh i can't take naps because i always end up zonking out for at least 3hrs haha. really i just love to snooze :) im jealous of you power girls and your power naps!
and great choice picking that quote, i just started my day and reading that made me smile in agreement :D
Cute post! :) Especially towards the end. I really think what makes someone beautiful is their slight imperfections - it adds some flavor & personality to them. As for powernaps, I've never been a napper, but when situations strike where you have to be up super early...those few winks of sleep in the middle of the day can be the best pick-me-ups. :)
I think what made my day today was my breakfast, lol. I'm such a foodie, it was just so good. My mom's such a top chef, heh. Oh btw, I completed my 7 loves!
What a delicious metallic cork mousepad. Due to the fact that I spend hours upon hours using the computer, I would love a piece like that of my own. Congratulations! :)
So far, the thing that has made my day today was seeing a cute boy. I know, I know...so ridiculous, but true.
What is a nap? Please nap all you can for me my dear. The dude has a keen sense for waking up the second I fall asleep.
I'm with ya- I've never been a napper, but I desperately wish I was sometimes. A flaw, I suppose ;-)
Congrats on almost 50!
I nap way more than I'd like to admit. Good luck on reaching the big 5-0
~Tellie
That is my favourite quote, I have it on my tumblr. I love it because as a huge perfectionist, things need to go certain ways in my life or I don't deem them good enough many times. This quote throws all that in my face and helps me take joy in everything, not just things that went perfectly.
I love that sticky! Where'd you find it?
that quote on the window is so genius. my mr bean teddy really made my day. haha
@ Girl With The Golden Touch: Thanks! And aww, I hope you sent it to your friend and that it cheered her up a bit :)
@ Iva: Aww, that is just precious! So cute!
@ New England Girl: That is a good quote, ain't it? And gah, I'm in university but I'm becoming a sucker for naps. So not cool haha.
@ Kym: Ahh, I used to fall asleep in the car as a kid but I can't do it anymore! And the job isn't bad at all, just sucks being sick! I wrote about it in my latest entry :) And yay for sleep-ins! Can't wait to do that.
@ Adele: Aw, thanks so much, you are so sweet.
@ bananas.: Yay, I'm glad it did! It's hard to see life that way, but it's so important to remember!
@ Aubrey: Ah girl, you are adorable and made me blush haha. Glad I could make your day, just like you made mine!
@ Jessica: Thanks so much for your encouragement about posting -- and I wish I could fall asleep that easy, that'd be amazing. It's hard not to strive for bodily perfection -- I'd be lying if I said I didn't love working out and seeing my body tone up -- but it's those little genetic things that I think we should be happy we have!
@ Andhari: Aww, that's such a cute image in my head haha. I just laughed out loud :)
@ sarah: Trust me, you are not an old lady -- all of my friends take naps during the day, I feel like a leper or something for not taking them all the time!
@ Kellie: Yay! Where are you going to put it?
@ josie(bean): Woot, I'm glad you like the quote. And it's hard for me to wake up too, so that's why I rarely take naps ... that one was much-needed, though :)
@ Archana: Mmm, breakast. Would you like to share some? Haha. And thanks!
@ Erika: Thanks so much! And dude, that's not ridiculous ... I still swoon over teachers that I work with even though I have a boyfriend :P
@ Kristin: Aww ... I feel so bad! I hope you do manage to get some shut-eye sometime :)
@ LiLu: Naw, not a flaw! If you were asleep during the day, peopel would miss out on your amazingness since you'd be asleep :D
@ Tellie: Hey, nothing wrong with that! And thanks!
@ Margarita: It's good to have a quote like that that can put everything in perspective, glad this one does it for ya!
@ SassyGirl: I was looking around at inspiring quotes (what a lame Google look-up, haha) and came upon it somehow! Great find, I think :)
@ ONiC: I agree, and I am SO jealous that you have a Mr. Bean teddy! Lucky!
Post a Comment