Pages

much-needed therapy ...

When I think of being 'therapeutic', I picture those movies where people blast some Enya while doing impossible yoga positions. Instead, for this first week of therapeutic Thursdays, I'm going to think about the steps to being in that relaxed state. If you follow me on Twitter, you'll see that my tweets today have been less than positive (pretty much just ranting about university). Whether you're in university, have a job, or just wondering what's next ... the one thing that seems to come to mind are worries.



Well, my advice is:
Forget about it! ... at least for now.

Worrying tends to produce anxiety, negativity, self-criticism, and puts yourself off from making any of your dreams come true. It might be hard to think of any kind of dream or goal coming true -- so many obstacles, so many risks, so much debt or lack of money. It's enough to make you want to rip off all of your fingernails (or whatever bad habit you might have). But try to be a half-cup-full kind of person.**

Society tells us that in order to have any kind of mark on the world, we have to be productive. It turns us into these fast-paced machines that feel like all of our worth comes out of doing something. And then we worry about not doing enough. It's this endless cycle of self-destruction.




Are you a Nietzsche, a Kant, or a Sinatra?
Regardless -- just give yourself time to relax.

We're so hard on ourselves all the time, constantly beating ourselves up for what we can't accomplish -- and sometimes beating ourselves up for things we have accomplished. Instead, just think about your life now. You've gotten to where you are for a reason. You've made a series of choices, and you will continue to. But instead of worrying about it, just focus on the things you want. It will inspire you, it will motivate you. Surround yourself with the people you love. They will comfort you. They will give you hugs when you need them most (except for when you're sick, then they might avoid you like the plague. Sorry).

No matter how busy you are right now -- and you can't be too busy since you're reading this novel  (teehee) -- I want you to just close your eyes, and picture yourself in your ideal place. That place that makes you feel comfy, that makes you feel at home. A place where you can totally be yourself. And your goal? To try to be at that place at least once a month, once a week, even once a day. A place where you can just relax, without worry. A place where it doesn't matter how busy your day might be ... because, at that moment, you're happy.


For some, it could just be lying in bed (I don't blame you!) ...
Or playing/listening to your favourite music at any place ...

 

Maybe it's lying on a comfy couch with your lover ...
Or your favourite pet by your side to comfort you while you watch TV ...




Maybe it could be spending time with friends that mean most to you ...
Or being able to just talk to someone you love ...




Maybe it's anywhere with coffee (mmm) or yummy food ...
Or any place you can curl up with a good book ...




Or maybe it's wandering around a forest in a gorgeous dress with Smurf/Avatar people ...
Umm, I mean, maybe it could be using your imagination! Hehe.

So your 'mission' for today: 
Picture that ideal place.
Tell me what it is in the comments.
And then try to make it happen.
And enjoy some soothing relaxation :)



 In a few days, I'll be asking for questions for next week's Therapeutic Thursdays, so keep those in mind, too! No pressure, though :) Have a beautiful start to your weekend!

** I meant for that to say 'cup-half-full' person ... but it came out this way, and Aubrey liked it, so I am keeping it that way! Haha :)



{All pictures found via Tumblr and Weheartit.com}


btemplates

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post!!!
Half-cup-full type of gal here...i luv that saying. Gonna have to steal it :)- Lol

P.S. That pup on the couch is...MY TONKA...for reals. Exactly the color too. Cuteness and he's sitting next to me.

erika sorocco said...

Ohmigosh I love this post! I need to go do something relaxing; I've been swamped with work as of late - I need a petite break!! :)

Andhari said...

This is awesome, girlie. I would love to wander around the forest of pandora with na'vi people hahhaa they're tall and hot :p

Anyhoo being productive ALL the time makes all of us a boring person. Enjoy life! Be slow once in a while!

Manju said...

it was all serious till it got to the last pic...lmao thos 'smurfs' are seriously weird hahaha

Manju said...

oh and when i think therapy i think the beach, and the spa ahhhhhhh

Unknown said...

Brilliant post! It's true, we can be quite hard on ourselves in this life.

My favourite place would probably have to be curled up on the sofa with my lover ;) AND a good book!

p.s. I too liked "half-cup-full", glad you kept it!

sarah said...

hahah from the moment you mentioned enya, you had me

i am definitely a sinatra. which one are you?

nik nik niiiik good grief i have been so bad about your package. i vow to be better. i will send it soon. i swear.

Anonymous said...

Nice reminder to relax before the three-day weekend. My personal relaxation happy place involves my bed and a twelve-hour marathon of House. Oh Hugh Laurie...

Children of the 90s said...

This really is a great post. I especially like the first part...I think I'm sort of a Kant on this one, though I'd rather be a carefree Sinatra.

I'm a total summer person, so my place is laying out in the sun by the pool, preferably with some friends, alcohol, and barbecue. During the dead of winter, that sounds way too good to be true.

Sarah Glova said...

haha is it sad that I'm totally at peace in a coffee shop with a big 'ol cup o joe?? :) love this post; can't wait to read more! thanks for stopping by my blog!

Honey Bee said...

This feature of yours is totally needed! Nothing like those pictures to take me away from my worries.
xx

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

For me this weekend...it's an It's Always Sunny in Philly marathon with the hubs!

Sierra said...

Everyone needs to relax, I agree and it definitely helps with anxiety and worrying! I am teaching myself how to relax more, I am always on the go it seems!

Unknown said...

awww i love this! this is going to be a great thursday bonus! I used to be so bad with worrying but soon realized that 1) it'll get me nowhere 2) it doesn't solve the problem 3) i will get pimples and wrinkles! :(

i totally feel you too on "sometimes beating ourselves up for things we have accomplished." i am ALWAYS so hard on myself especially when it comes to my business. Sometimes i think its normal because i just want to push myself for more and more and better and better but other times people just look at me like i'm crazy because im my biggest critic! =S

Honey Bee said...

Hey you,
I'm hosting a little project at www.girlinthebloggingdepartment.blogspot.com so if you'd want to join, head over and give it a read! I really hope you like it.
And about your comment on my blog, let me just say unreplied emails bug the shit outta me..but you're right, people have a lot going on at times and I just need to give them a break!

Unknown said...

♥ I GAVE YOU AN AWARD ♥

Sara said...

clarity...just clarity

G said...

the mall. aaaahhhhhhhh.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Ahhhhhhh. Thanks for the moment of bliss! Snuggling with the dude and the hubs on a Sat. morning....Sigh.

krissy ♥ said...

I have this bad habit of worrying about the littlest things. I stress myself over the last minute detail. But I think I cancel this out by being happy over the smallest things :)