Pages

therapeutic thursdays: what is beauty?

People find beauty all over the place. And many mistake beauty for 'perfection', that something needs to be (what our society thinks) is perfect in order to have any beauty whatsoever. Back in first year, I had a Multimedia class where we had to take scans from magazines and create something new out of it. As I was flipping through my magazines (issues of Cosmopolitan, Teen Vogue, Seventeen) I realized that so many images of "beauty" are presented that can really skew us. And this is what I came up with:


Kind of terrifying, isn't it? And the lady on the left completely reminds me of Heidi Montag -- the girl who turned into a plastic blow-up doll after getting ten surgery procedures done in one day.

There's nothing wrong with being skinny or being sexy, but I think society promotes it to a point where we only think of our shortcomings -- what's "wrong" with us, and, how can we solve it? Usually it involves spending our money on some promise that we can be beautiful in someone's eyes.

But first, we need to work on being beautiful in our own eyes. Not be self-absorbed, but realize that we are beautiful.






When I was a child, I got a third-degree burn on my thigh that I still have to this day. I've always been so self-conscious of it, covering myself up on the beach because people would look at it otherwise.

Until I realized -- imperfections don't have to be classified as 'ugly.' Since meeting The Boy, I've finally worn an actual bikini bottom instead of shorts or a skirt on top, my scar still on display. But for once, I don't mind.

And looking outside ourselves, beauty can really be found everywhere. Looking at a garden of flowers, watching a sunset, seeing two friends bearhugging each other because they haven't seen each other in so long. Waking up in the morning and seeing the person you love right next to you. Seeing someone smile.


We all have different definitions of beauty. 
What is yours? 


Which column matters more to you?



This scene from Love Actually is a classic.
To be loved by someone -- just the way you are.
*sigh*

{Let's just ignore that whole part where he's in love with a married woman, mmkay?}


Now, I don't want to be cliche and say:

Because, of course, most people are attracted to
someone physically before the emotional aspect sets in.

What I'm trying to say is: don't let society define what beauty is for you,
or let it determine if you're beautiful or not.

Find it for yourself :)

Today, Andhari talks about it being "Lingerie Day" in the twitter-verse ... another way of exploiting boobs and butts. Why not cover yourself in some pink fabric for Project Barbie instead? And of course, that doesn't mean we have to become Barbie, because her dimensions are psychotic. It's just a way to dress up and unleash your beauty.

But yes. I know this is a bit of a deeper topic, but questions of what beauty really is seems to pop up almost daily. And Heidi's recent surgery scared the crap outta me (if you haven't seen the pictures yet ... don't, hehe). Just something to think about, and hopefully something that will relax you -- you don't have to be what everyone wants you to be. Be your own beauty, be yourself. :)

And join my giveaway? (oh, shameless plugs.)
Hope you'll all have a great start to your weekend!

P.S. If you want a more lighthearted Thursday after reading this, definitely check out LivitLuvit's TMI Thursdays (though some of them are pretty serious, too)!

btemplates

16 comments:

Andhari said...

Love you babe! They so should go look for pink dress and join project Barbie instead. Wohooo :) Show em how sexy and classy!:D

rachaelgking said...

Awww, thanks for the shout out. This post is beautiful. That Love Actually scene makes me tear up every time!!!

Unknown said...

i love this post nikolett! i can relate to it so much... not because i've had plastic surgery or anything like that but like you, i have burns on my body from when i was toddler and i still have those scars today. they haunted me for many years especially in my teen years because that was the height of being cool and being accepted. Now, i realize that i dont have to go by someone elses definition of "beautiful"... i did find someone who loves me just as i am.. just like you found yours! yay us! haha! ;P

Anonymous said...

I love this post, it was really good lil sis, I always told you not to worry about the scar, I'm glad you finally accepted it :)

Honey Bee said...

Fabulous post!
I've been after a never ending quest to find myself beautiful...this post is something I can relate to. :)

London Girl said...

Good post. I totally think that beauty is imperfection. What makes you different is what makes you - and that is beautiful!
<3

erika sorocco said...

I have never seen "Love Actually" before, but I constantly spot that one screen shot. I would be head over heels in love with any boy who said that to me! And the column on the right all the way!! :)

bananas. said...

awww lovee this.

beauty to me is the all in one package. it comes from deep down inside and while yes the outside is what may draw you in at first, i've learned that some of the most "prettiest" people (lookswise) are the ugliest people inside.

Iva Messy said...

this is so sweet!!! To me, beauty comes from within, nice, caring,loving people shine on the outside as well.

{ps, while you should never be ashamed of your burn...I am still so very sorry it happened to you}

krissy ♥ said...

I like this post Nikolett :) I too was so self-conscious before because I am so thin! But now I figured I should just be proud of the body frame I'm given, seeing as how other people spend lots of time and effort to diet XD

I don't know if you watch Ugly Betty, but this season will be its last, it has been cancelled by the producers :(

PS: I got your card already! Yay! i don't really know when it arrived at my parents' house, they must have forgotten to tell me. I saw it on my vanity table in my room :D it really cheered me up because I was feeling PMS-y that time, THANKS!! :)

Children of the 90s said...

Great post! I like that list. It definitely helps put things in perspective.

Sarah Whitney said...

This was a really insightful post. I agree, it's sad that society has created this crazed standard of perfection that no one can live up to. Also, that love your body day picture really puts things in perspective!

Sara said...

thank you for such a beautiful, honest, sincere post :)

Manju said...

i love that scene from love actually, like all of us i guess :)
i used to have so many body image issues you know, but now i've come to accept and love myself as i am, and i've never been happier.
but lolzzzzzz it's been like mission impossible to find a dress for prject barbie that's not disgustingly ruffly and just plain fugly haha, i think i'll have to pass

Sammy said...

You're right, the beauty on the inside thing is just a phrase to say that the beautiful people are not always the nicest. And looks always comes before emotional. It's a genetic game of luck (but also, what the media defines as perfect - 500 years ago you had to be flat chested and flubby to be deemed as beautiful).

Hmm, we're a pathetic race.

But in happier news, I'm loving your blog! It's totally interesting and has a wide variety of topics :)

Carlito86 said...

That scene from LA has to be a favourite, and Andrew Lincoln is such a cutie! Great film :)