the one where I ramble ...
Last night, while hanging out with my two best guy friends (who are brothers), we headed to a concert ... for 16-18 year olds. Oh yes, I must be the coolest twenty-something that you know, eh? It wasn't too shabby and I found myself "whoo"-ing and "oww owww!"-ing at the end of songs (the band was called The Penske File which I thought was neat).
At the beginning of one song the lead singer went, "So, this is a song about when you're trying out new things, and you try weed and you don't really like it, but you kind of like it. And then you're older and you look back on it and you kind of miss it." At first I was like, "Err, dude, you're a kid, how can you 'look back' on it ..." and then I thought, "Wait, this concert is going on in a community church building, why is he talking about weed?"
But at the same time, I kind of appreciated the fact that there was a gathering of 16-18 year olds (me and one of my guy friends were probably the oldest people there) on a Saturday night where there was no alcohol, no drugs, and just music ... made me feel like maybe the younger generation will grow up well after all? [Note: Reason I say this is because I've come across too many teenagers who abuse those substances, so it's nice to see teenagers who can enjoy a night without either of those two things present.]
And I know I'm only about six years older than them, but I feel that period from the end of high school to the end of university/earlier half of the twenties ... well, you learn some things. I'm still completely clueless on how life works, but I know who I am, I've realized which friends are worth holding on for and friends I love to be with, I've come to appreciate and respect responsibilities rather than defy them, and I know that anyone who pressures you into doing something you don't want to do is not worth it.
So even though some girls there were wearing the shortest shorts known to humanity and one girl kept reaching into the ass pocket of a guy and just said, "Oh, I'm only reaching for your wallet!" when he asked why she kept doing that ... hopefully I won't grow up hating teenagers after all.
Other than that, I've been soaking in the sun rays as much as possible in case this fickle Canadian weather decides to go all cold and rainy on me again, studying for my night class midterm on Tuesday, planning things out for The Boy's birthday this Tuesday (day of test, yay~) and going fishing at the lake!
By "fishing", I mean The Boy and his dad decided to go into the lake with nets while I stood on land and took lots of pictures of nature ... but it was good :) Plus we had a barbeque afterwards, so that made me a happy lady.
The lake and ... being shy about having his shirt off?
My no-make-up face trying on the classic Miley Cyrus pout (she ain't got nothing on me, yo).
A gorgeous butterfly and a birdie! (yes, I call them birdies.)
Yellow in the form of a lily and lemon sorbet ... mm, mm good~
My mood's elevated from Debbie Downer to Apprehensively Appreciative Anna ... or something. Either way, I'm feeling better about things, just really nervous because I'm graduating in a week. Egad! It's exciting but I'm just worried about a) falling on my face as I go up the stage; b) the entire day being horribly organized; and c) how badly they're going to butcher my last name. But in the meantime, maybe you could try out some mozza pita-calzone, the recipe of the week (I'll be sharing the German Apple Cake soon!) and I'm going to go eat some ice cream soon ... my simple smile of the week is that there's ice cream at home to help me endure the heat!
What's your simple smile of the week?
And what have you been up to this weekend?
If you happen to have a long weekend - enjoy it :)






A twenty-something-year old Canadian lady who drinks a cup of coffee a day to keep the 





betterthancoffee@gmail.com | 2012
13 comments:
i was being naughty this week but le boy knew i was up to no good so he didn't reciprocate. damn him.
otherwise, i think this week has been productive. and i feel slightly happier :)
i'm glad you feel the same way too!
you look beautiful with out without makeup always!! looks like a nice weekend lovely lady! I hope you are having an enjoyable Sunday! My simple smile this weekend is that its FINALLY NOT RAINING!!
oh, you're gonna be graduated this week' yay! Congrats! Me, i'll hopefully finish the thesis this month, and do the final test this month too and graduated *you know, the ceremonial* on august *amen* i can't believe how fast time flies! :o though i gotta say i can't wait to get the heck out of uni, haha...
Bad news i've done nothing much academically this week due to the lack of internet connection, don't ask me how that even work but without internet, i can't come up with anything to write *sigh* (and i'm still using my phone right now...)
and this post makes me wanna go fishing, hehhehehe... Been long since the last time i did.
Nikolett, you have so many things to look forward to! That's reason enough to kick Debbie Downer out of your alter-ego as of right now...graduation seems soo exciting, and your boy's birthday is going to be a fantastic time to share some more love as you can make him feel even more special than usual! Don't worry, I can well understand the apprehension of going on stage on grad day but I can tell you from now...it's not going to be any less than one of the most important days of your life EVEN if you fall flat on your face (which you won't), so better enjoy it to the fullest. :)
I have more sympathy with today's teenagers. That's cuz when I was in high school, most of my fellow school mates and friends were all about drugs and booze and partying, so now that I'm out of that phase, I can relate more to the pressures they face which pushes them to do what do, which would have pushed me back in my days had I not been luckier. :)
The yellow lily is so gorgeous!
Yay to our graduations!! :)
The president of the school, who will be handing us our diplomas, was my teacher two semesters ago so hopefully he won't mangle my name! :D
It's funny how one of my former teachers, who happens to be close to my dad, STILL manages to mispronounce my name! You'd think after hearing my dad say my name many times all these years, he'd figure it out but...noooooo! :D
Ummm...so I think my simple smile of the week may be this post - you and The Boy are the cutest! Also...my score on Gilt Groupe. SO excited for my new J Brand Lovestory Jeans to arrive! :)
Happy Birthday to The Boy, and Happy Graduation to you!! I'm happy you have more than enough reasons to celebrate :) And yumm, that lemon sorbet looks soo delicious! :D
Happy Graduation! I wish I could be there so I could see you!! I'm sure the day will be fine - expect the worse and what worse could happen??
My simple smile was watching the dude splash in his kiddie pool this weekend. And whenever I go to a concert with the hubs we're like the oldest people there. He covets the kind of punk that kiddies dig. HA!
helllooo my nikolett! i've missed your blog, things have been crazy lately as it must be for you as well! Don't even get me started on teens nowadays... it's so annoying but at the same time sad that this generation is facing so many pressures from all directions. Re: the shortest shorts ever... that's nothing. At my last show this past Sunday, i turned my head and saw a girl bending down to get something.... and BAM! NO PANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! seriously?? it was scarring. All she had on were stockings (clear ones.. not even TIGHTS) and a tshirt that barely covered her butt. *cringe*
what bothers me about that specific generation here in Egypt is their moral decay...or maybe their complete disorientation...or maybe that's just my perception? I hope it is
@ the girl in stiletto: LE BOY?! Hmmm, I'm not aware of who this le boy is! But aww, I hope he reciprocates sometime soon and I'm glad you're feeling happier lady :)
@Iva: You are too sweet, thank you :) you make me feel more confident with no make-up on haha. And WOOT for no raining! After a week of sun it finally rained here, bah!
@Little Miss Tiara: I will GLADLY take you fishing with me - I need more girl power when fishing and it'd be a good break from your thesis ;) Crazy that everything's coming up so soon! I'm unfortunately not done at uni just yet, but it'll be good to be graduated from it? lol
@Little Miss Juicy: All I can say is: thank you. I love reading your words and I appreciate them so much ... thank you lady :)
@ The Magick Box: Woot! So excited for both of us - and I'm jealous you'll have a teacher there who knows your n ame haha.
@ Erika: Thanks so much lady! :) And I haven't heard of Gilt Groupe, what's that about? But I can never say 'no' to new jeans, woot!
@ krissy: You are so sweet - I told The Boy that a lovely lady from the Philippines wished him happy birthday and he said he felt very special and to say 'thank you!' :D
@Margarita: Thanks sis :) Wish you could be there too but I know you'll be there in spirit and cheering me on ... and I'm going to wear my most comfy heels so I won't trip and fall haha.
@ Kristin: I'm not going to lie, I really want a kiddie pool because it is so ridiculously hot here! And I think that's cute, you two are awesome punk rockers I'm sure! ;)
@ Kym: I've missed you toooo and we're both crazy busy ladies but I'm so glad to be working with youuuu! That image of the girl with NO pants made me almost gag though!
@ Sara: Ahh I hope it's just your perception ... I do find that generation a little more ... unenthuastic about things because it seems like technology does everything for them, but hopefully they'll grow from that! Hope everything's going well with you lady, I'm off to check out your blog now :)
Post a Comment