trapped in the city.
Even though I've grown up in it all my life, I've never been the biggest fan of The City (and nope, I'm not talking about the 'reality' show with Whitney Port). There's certain aspects of it that I'll always love, but I cherish wide spaces, surrounded by trees rather than tall buildings.
Case in point: yesterday I made the one-hour bus ride to my university. I went earlier to do 'school errands' (which were never completed because their offices suck) and then meet up with The Boy before my Shakespeare night class. It takes two buses to get to my school, so I usually blast my mp3 player while staring out the window.
When I was on the first bus, I noticed someone in my neighbourhood getting on the bus and sitting across from me. He then fell asleep halfway through the bus ride, and never opened his eyes once. I told myself, that once we got downtown, I'd poke the fellow awake. As I was doing this, there was a man standing behind me in his mid-40s, with yellowing teeth, a grey matty mullet, and a baseball cap on. My neighbour opened his eyes and said "thank you, thanks so much" and I got off the bus.
The mid-40s man RAN after me and stopped me in my tracks. I thought maybe he'd praise me for restoring his faith in humanity for being so nice (haha, I'm so full of myself) but instead he said, "I noticed you on the bus, you're really pretty. Is there any chance we could hook up sometime?" Now, I thought I had misunderstood, or my mind was playing tricks on me. I still my earphones in and asked, "Pardon?" hoping that I was just being silly.
But no. He asked if I could hear him and repeated, "You're a pretty girl. I was wondering if there was any chance we could hook up sometime?" I nearly puked in front of him, since my mind has that habit of visualizing whatever the person is saying (yuck). I just said, "Um, no. I don't do that." And walked away. Which was awkward, since we both crossed the same street, but I made sure to stay far, far away.
So once me and The Boy met up, after not completing any of our 'school errands', we grabbed ourselves some strawberry cheesecake Drumsticks (delicious!) and then went on a two-hour hike in the forest by the lake behind our university. A place I didn't even know existed. There, I didn't have to worry about any creepy men calling me 'pretty girl'. Instead, I had The Boy hold me and call me a 'sexy woman', which I consider a compliment!
I still love being where I am, but sometimes I feel trapped in the city. So it's nice to know these kinds of places exist! Even when I broke out into song on the trail and then swallowed four teeny flies and choked for ten minutes ... even then.
And on a totally different but fabulous note, BonBon Rose is having an awesome giveaway! These two girls are amazing, so you should definitely check out their giveaway and the many other great finds found on their blog!
Plus, I decided to make my Wednesday Wishes a bi-weekly thing, since I'll probably eventually run out of places/cities to dream about. But my Simple Smiles will be every Monday! Now I'm off to lay down in my backyard. Have a great hump day!


A twenty-something-year old Canadian lady who drinks a cup of coffee a day to keep the 





betterthancoffee@gmail.com | 2012
11 comments:
I was born & raised in surburbia Orange County and now that I live in LA (even though it's only 40-miles away), it's still a culture-shock. Case-in-point: I went to E3 last week, and some random guy wanted to take a picture of with me and said "F*ck booth babes, I'm all about you." I was so weirded out, I had no comeback! I just kind of looked around and walked away! Hahaha. How horrible.
It is nice to find a nice island in the city - I'm glad you and your BF were able to take a stroll to get away from the craziness of the city. =)
Wednesday Wishes and Simple Smiles. Love them both. I find that it's always fun to create a weekly or bi-weekly post that people can always look forward to. I pen Smitten Saturday on Cafe Fashionista once a week myself. It's one of my favorite ways to spend Saturday mornings! :)
Thanks for the love and I don't understand why you wouldn't want to "hook up" with a greasy mullet wearing fellow??? Ah ha ha ha ha
uhhhhh okay...creeepy much? hahaha glad he didn't take it to the next level... *gags* and i know what you mean about feeling "trapped" in the city. i thought downtown was always glamorous so i was super excited to get a job there but after 2 months, i was sick of it. i didn't even want to go downtown on a friday night to hangout. now i work in a suburban area and its nice... i dont even mind going downtown once in a while anymore. :)
HEY! hope you are having a FUN FUN day!! :)
ewwww, nasty old man! haha thats disgusting. really, why do people think it's ok to do those sorts of things. theres a 35 year old.. im only 22.. who works with me and asks me almost once a week if my boy and i have broken up yet.. now he just gets an eye roll and i walk away. pretty soon it might be the finger :)
Next time someone asks you that, you kick him in the balls.
i left you something on my blog!!
Ha! University campus offices arond the world all seem pretty useless! Always hit or miss whether anything gets done!
I HATE creepy guys!!!!!! One of lifes little mysteries- the ones you want to hit on you never seem to understand the signals and the ones who do approach you get are the ones you'd never touch in a bazillion years!
@ steph: Oh wow, trust me, I wouldn't know what to say either! I'd probably just walk away like you, haha. And thanks, it was amazing :)
@ Cafe Fashionista: Yay, alliteration with Smitten Saturdays! (I'm such a dork.) I think it's cute that you can have a nice way like that to end off your week :)
@ Kristin: I guess he was hoping that he was my 'type' ... anything over the age of 25 for me is definitely not my type haha. And no worries!
@ Kym: OMG, I would've screamed if he attempted anything more than that! Yeah, I think it's good to take the city in dosages, I love towards the edge of the city so it's more suburban so at least that's a relief!
@ Iva: You're so sweet, thank you!
@ nicole addison: Wow, thanks so much!
@ sarah: Oh wow, so we're not alone! I thought it was just my university that sucked hardcore haha. And that is SO true, why does life work that way?! Haha!
@ nicole addison: Completely missed that you commented twice! I'm so sorry to hear about that co-worker, I hope he leaves you alone!
@ Cheryl: Haha, I haven't kicked a boy in the balls since grade 5, but if that creepy guy does it again, I'll make sure to!
Post a Comment