panic, calm, panic, calm
I need to get one of those "that was easy" buttons from Staples; nothing in my life right now is very easy or simple, but I'd like to convince myself otherwise! Sorry for the lack of updates -- this is going to be a personal release of everything that's gone on in my week from the bad to the good to the oh-so-very-bad, to the meh.
Shadow has been an amazing pup -- except for this week from hell. Our 7-year old used to be calm, loved to sleep, never bugged. All of a sudden, he's been restless, hyperactive, and we really didn't know what to do. After three sleepless nights, my Mom went on about how we'd either have to go to a vet or put him to sleep. That put me into hysterics; he means way too much to me. Finally, we brought him to the vet on Wednesday where they told us he had infections all in his mouth and his teeth were horrible. So he's going in for surgery on Monday - one that's going to cost us over a grand. It's worth it, especially since it breaks my heart to see him in pain. So that's brought on some stress this week.
The Boy constantly amazes me with his love. I've been unloading so much onto him this week, even the most annoying of things. Wednesday was my low point and so I kept calling him, even with silly things like, "I just want to hear your voice." (How cheesy is that, eh?) I called him around 4pm and he went, "I'm sorry Sweetie, but I'm in the middle of something. Can I call you back in 45 minutes?" I obliged and went off to make myself Alphabetti's spaghetti from a can, since my parents were at the vet and I wasn't in the mood to cook (ah, a bad mood).
All of a sudden, 45 minutes later I get a phone call - from The Boy's cell. He asks me to open up my front door and then says he'll call me back. So I open the front door and on my 'welcome' mat there's a piece of paper. On the front it read GUESS WHAT? flip me over -> and on the back it said I LOVE YOU! If you turn around you'll get a big kiss and a tight hug! I actually turned around to look inside my house but he came from the side of my house and leaped to give me a huge hug. I started crying in relief that I was able to see him, have him, hold him. He's really been a rock ... love that Boy.
Oh, and guess what? Remember that toothbrush situation from way back when? As of last week: the toothbrush is at his place. Huzzah! Calm :)
Despite the crappy situation with 'my friend' C, this picture makes me laugh and makes me want their hairstyles. But the situation with C is anything but stylish. Me and her met in our second-last year of high school and used to be really close. Somewhere along the way she changed, and I grew tired of her always feeling superior and making fun of all of our friends. So, I was friends with her mostly through association. I didn't end up going to a bunch of her birthdays over the past few years, either because something got in the way or the cost.
This year, I decided to make an effort to actually come out and be there for her, and see if we could actually have a friendship that wasn't established on being friends with everyone else. She's a girl who loves luxury and things fancy, and decided she'd book a limo and go to a club over an hour away. I decided to invite The Boy and his two friends (also a couple), in hopes that a) the more people the merrier; and b) that the cost of the limo would go down. C estimated that it would cost between $30-$40, which was fine.
So the day came when the limo was booked and all the information was provided - and it was $45 per person for some exquisite stretch SUV limo and $20 cover for the guys for the club - and only free for the girls before 11pm. I told The Boy and his friends and they basically said they weren't expecting it to be that much, it's too much with all the school stuff going on, and that they didn't know C well enough to spend that much on one night out. I completely understood, and let C know right away that it was a bit too much for them right now. BIG. MISTAKE.
We went through a big charade of her not understanding how they couldn't understand that a night out usually costs that much, and then offering to have it be $35 per person for the limo. Still, The Boy and his friends maintained that $35 + $20 = too much, and they didn't think it was worth it {plus, they thought she was a bit r-u-d-e}. On top of that, I told C that I might not be able to make it, depending on how much I'd chip in for my dog's surgery on Monday.
So then C went and offered that it'd be $30 per person just for us four, and no cover. She asked me to text my friends and ask them if that was okay, even though I told her she didn't have to do that and that I couldn't control how my friends reacted. Regardless, I do text them (along with a 'no pressure, honestly, it's just because a lot of people are backing out') and then ten minutes later, get a text message from C basically saying that $30 is ridiculous and out of the question and unfair to everyone else, and to next time, just say no right away instead of 'backing out at the last minute'.
I never replied, she went and told my close friend that I basically ruined her birthday and it's all my fault, and I've maintained that a friendship with her is no longer worth it. The panic of wanting to please her and feeling bad for having three friends drop dissipated into a near calm.
Which brings me school, which started this past Thursday. I only had one class and spent the majority of the day getting free stuff from their 'sidewalk sale' (yay mascara and gum!). But this American Lit class is all-year-long and the Prof nearly put me to sleep in the first lecture, which doesn't seem promising. Regardless, I'm attempting to stay calm this year. It's my final year in university, I have to apply for teacher's colleges soon, and I want to to try to get the best marks possible. So ... it'll be busy, but I'm hoping to stay calm!
My apologies for the rambling this post, just had to get this out! Here's hoping for less-panicky times ahead! Hope you all have a beautiful weekend! But first, I need to ask:


A twenty-something-year old Canadian lady who drinks a cup of coffee a day to keep the 





betterthancoffee@gmail.com | 2012
10 comments:
your boy sounds so sweet... little things like that are so special!
Frenemies are not worth stressing over. Been there!
Super jealous on The boy. I'll let that slide because you are so cool. ;P
C--dump her ass faster than she can blink. And if I were you, I would totally spell it all out for her. But I'm kind of like that- very outspoken, and a firm believer that you can't fix stupid, but if someone is stupid it's your job to let them know. :) Good luck!!
I agree with the above commentator... dump C, she's a bitch. Seriously. I mean, what's the point of staying friends with someone like that. Tell her not everyone can afford things like that and since she doesn't even know them, WHO CARES??
Anyway, hope Shadow is feeling better and your classes are alright!
To stay calm? Yoga. And Coffee. :)
okay girl, BF is a KEEPER!!!! i love surprises like that... especially when you need it the most. :)
don't overwork/think/stress out okay? take time to breath... something i need to learn as well... try to enjoy whats left of your weekend nikolett, take care! :)
First, I hope Shadow will be okay. Hope the surgery goes well, I don't have a pet but I know how worried you can be :(
Second, your boyfriend is the sweetest guy ever. You guys deserve each other. Being there for each other is one of the most basic essentials in a lasting relationship.
Third, screw C. I don't know how you guys celebrate your birthday, but over here the birthday guy/girl if they wanna celebrate it, either for dinner or club, they pay for everything. Guests only come bearing gifts or good wine. My last birthday was celebrated in a club as well, bottled service and all that and they all could come and drink and party in my table for free. I won't ask them to help pay for bottles. If one of my friends have birthday dinner, the birthday kid pays for everything too. But maybe it's just how we do it over here. All I can say in this situation is, she really isn't being a good friend, she's just being a spoiled girl.
That is so cute of your man!! I want someone to do that to me :/
I really hope Shadow is OK - keep us updated xoxo
That is it; I officially envy you because of The Boy. Consider yourself the luckiest girl in the world, kitten! :)
thank god for the boy huh? wow what a week. i'm so sorry to hear about shadow. doggy surgeries are so expensive but so worth it. my family's dog, sarge, had to have so many surgeries over his lifetime (he is now in doggie heaven after living a wonderful long life) and we never once considered putting him down until it was time. that meant forking over thousands of dollars. and as for your "friend" c...what a horrible selfish...ugggh! good thing you cut her off. she didn't sound so nice. hope the next week is better.
oh your bf is really sweet!
Hope your doggie will be fine! At least he won't be having pain anymore, and then he can finally rest!
*loves*
Post a Comment