Pages

guest blog #4: one life lesson

Note from Nikolett: Well, this weekend has been dedicated to my teacher's college applications and my multimedia portfolio (maybe I'll show it off to you all if enough people want to see it!) as well as movie-watching to prevent insanity and to keep me happy. And today's guest blog is definitely motivation to be happy -- it makes me happy because it comes from Ramblings of a Fab Brunette, aka Margarita, aka my older sister! Thank you for guest blogging, and enjoy this heartwarming and true message about getting by in life - happily.

If I Can Pass on One Life Lesson
 

{image found via weheartit.com}
 
Growing up I was always eager to get on with the next part of my life. I was never content with where I was, I had dreams - huge dreams of being famous or rich or living in Paris eating macarons or partying in Manhattan or becoming an author. My dreams always were carefree, money was never a worry nor a want, in my dreams my world exists of happy people, no one out to get anyone, everyone living in harmony, supporting everyone's dreams and accomplishments. There would be sadness, but the sadness would easily be converted into a creative outlet - art, writing, music - everything would be inspirational. I might even be a muse to a rock star in my dreams.
 
But then reality hits, and you're in a part-time job, never saving money, and none of these dreams would most likely come true. So I started making my dreams more realistic, shoving my luxurious dreams in a back corner in my mind only to come out when fantasizing about certain vampires who are also rock stars in my dreams - my realistic dreams are not as far-fetched. Get married. Buy a car. Travel. Get a good job. All proper goals that your parents will be proud of, but they seem a little, well, soul-less to me. Dreams should come from the heart, right? And no matter how insane they might be, it's what matters to you, it's something you strive to be, and if you put that away for a 'normal' goal, you're no longer making yourself happy, you're trying to make those around you happy.
 
You will never be happy making others happy. Maybe at first, but after you will feel empty, like you did everything you could do for someone else, and not for yourself.
 
We are lucky we live in a day and age that we can do things on the side, art or writing or website layouts, and have a place to sell them (etsy, your own site), and someone from halfway around the world can see your talent and you can make money doing what you love. It is such a good feeling to be getting paid for baking, painting or creating logos. It really is. And if that's something you love, then do it. You will doubt yourself, you will fail, you will be lazy, you will try again, and you will succeed, although not always in that precise order.
 
If I can pass on a life lesson or two, it would be to always make yourself happy. Let every choice be made with the outcome of your happiness in mind. It's great to help friends and family, it's awesome to support others, but when you decide to do something that you know in your heart is not for you, just to appease others, then you are destroying your own will. You will not be happy. And that is the truth.
 
Never let your dreams die, fantasize as often as you can, and one day your fantasies will become reality.
 
Enjoy your life. It's the only one you have, and you deserve to have a happy one.
 
xoxo

Too true ... when I think about all this homework and how much it weighs me down, all I have to do is remind myself that I want to be a teacher -- it's for me, and to help whatever future students I have. And of course, I have my crazy dreams of going all the way around the world and publishing novels. Never afraid to have dreams :) Thanks for the reminder, big sis! And here's a quote that I love just for some more inspiration. Hope you've all had a great weekend!





btemplates

9 comments:

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

I totally agree. Carpe diem!

Seize the day, and work towards your true goals instead of regretting you didn't have enough money, time or both.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Sometimes we forget to be true to ourselves. How sad. I hope we all keep that in the backs of our minds now. Thanks!

Shibby said...

Happiness is what we should all strive for. Love this post =)
I'm doing my teaching application at the moment too, it's difficult to write about myself almost done :) Good luck with yours

erika sorocco said...

Ooh, I had no idea your sister had a blog! This is such a fabulous guest post; and with such an important message.

Honestly, I've gone through much of my life trying to please everyone but myself; and feeling the weight of other people's problems. It has caused me to internalize my own problems, and act as if I'm a rock. It's hard. You really do need to think of yourself before others at times - if only to keep you sane. :)

Meg said...

I love this... what a great reminder for a Monday! Thanks Nikolett & Fab Brunette :)
xo meg

Iva Messy said...

such a great guest post! Always follow your dreams. always.

Sierra said...

Love this post! It is so true. Life is too short to give up and not fulfill all of your dreams and more!

Anonymous said...

Seize the day, enforce dreams, and grin big!

becks said...

No blogger is quite like Nikolett! Will the real Nikolett please come back:) I hope your crazy period's gonna be over soon.. Ohhhh.. Can you feel Christmas, it's just round the corner ;)