Pages

simple smiles #4 & hairdos!

I'm having myself a lazy Monday after the crazy two-birthday-parties-on-one-day Saturday followed by a wake-up time of 7:55am on the following Sunday. Exhausted to the maximus! It was awesome getting to swim, and it was fun bonding with people from both birthday parties -- not so much fun being at a bar for 5 hours (8:30pm-2am) when the place was practically empty! So today, I'm having me some "me-time"!

As for the simple smile ... back in the day on the playground, me and the girls would have massage trains or play with your hair trains. There'd be five or six of us, staring at each other's backs for fifteen minutes. I love having my hair played with (I'm sure all of us do, unless it's done up nicely!) so that has always been a favourite childhood memory.

I confessed in my last post that I can't do hairdos. I have to ask my Mom to put my hair into ponytails/braids ... Which is remarkably sad. But it also makes room for some more mother-daughter moments before I am officially deemed to be a woman 'on my own'.

Today I asked my Mom for full-out braids and we started a 'playing with each other's hair/massage train' of our own -- my Mom playing with my hair, and me massaging my dog Shadow who sat right in front of me (I'll show him off in a future post!). It made me smile, having a grown-up version of that train. Definitely a simple smile, and left me with such a feeling of nostalgia. That feeling of nostalgia also inspired the recipe of the week [in the sidebar], which reminds me of roasting s'mores on a fire.

Back on my last post (which I keep referencing!), becks requested a few things (post some pictures of your wonderful hairdos!; sing a song for us to hear; tell me how on earth you can remember all those movie lines!). While I won't be singing for you anytime soon, I can answer the other two!

To answer the question on how I remember movie lines ... my memory is bizarre. I've always had a memory that doesn't give a darn about mathematical equations and remembers nothing from science class apart from nimbo-stratus clouds. So yeah ... after hearing a song twice, I usually know all of the lyrics. After watching a movie three times, I've pretty much memorized the whole script haha. I'm weird.

As for the wonderul hairdos, I'll show my favourite hairstyle that I've been rocking lately. It's simple: take a shower, wait until your hair is mostly dry (though you could do it damp as well) and do regular braids starting from just above your ears or full-on braids. Sleep on it, and take them out the next morning -- et voila!

This is also the first time I'm posting a picture of my face (eep!), but here goes nothing:


I'm showing off Partini in the second picture, an amazing game I played with girlfriends at the beach!


I love beach-waves ... perfect for the beach, and especially on windy days!



By the way, I have to ask :)
What's a simple childhood memory that makes you smile?

btemplates

17 comments:

becks said...

Sorry to be so demanding Nikolett! ;P Hopefully you'll change your mind about the singing bit sometime in the future:) I think it's so sweet you and your mom share these moments. Btw, is "more" supposed to be a link for something? It doesn't quite open up.

My simple childhood memory: I used to love this collection of furry toys (I cant remember what it's called) and my dad would bring me to the shopping centre every week or so to add one more to my collection.

becks said...

oh! The link is working now. no worries. You should post more photos of yourself. you're so pretty! :)

Andhari said...

You definitely need more pictures uploaded in this blog, what to worry about? You're really pretty!

ps. I can't do my hair too, I always get it styled every weekend!

nicole mountz said...

aw you're too cute! yay for pictures and yay for pretty hair dos :)

Jessica said...

Those pictures are too cute. You look so pretty.

Childhood memory that makes me smile? how about my obssession with The Moffatts. I was crazy about them back in the day. It still makes me smile whenever I remember.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Aren't you the cutest? I just spent a week with my Mom and Nonnie at our mountain home. Boy did I feel like a little kid, except for the fact that MY kid was with us too. Ah ha. It was great. We'll always be our mom's little girls!

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

Drinking water from my dad's hands cause I couldn't reach the sink. :) lol.

Archana said...

Aww what an adorable post! :) Btw,
I love the beach waves on you - looks adorable! I love playing with my hair - though it can be really challenging at times because not only is it super dense, but it can be outta control curly when the weathers too hot & humid. But on the bright side, I can bounce between the option of curls or straight hair if and when I want. :)

As for a favorite childhood memory, eeks so many! Though I think the best memories are those of me and my elder sister putting on these silly little skits that we'd force our parents to watch. Heh, we were intense about rehearsing our lines - and I was always the fool that messed up. :P My dad has most of them on video, totally embarrassing but yet adorable. :)

sarah said...

Post tons more pictures!!!!! Tons and tons! They're lovely! :)

And omg! Japanese music! I totally want to send you a package! Do you want to do a swap with me? A my favorite things swap. I've read about them on other blogs but I've never done one!

Kellie Collis said...

Bubblegum icecream and having it all over me!! xx

bananas. said...

my fav childhood memory has to be all my birthdays before my mom passed away. she used to wake me up on my birthday at like 5:00 am by jumping on my bed and singing to me happy birthday. i would then get my gift before i went to school that day. i miss those days...

ps. you are so cute! don't you ever hide your face.

Unknown said...

awww, i loved the story of the train... i remember those hair braiding days too! haha! and as for my childhood memory...in elementary school we used to make what we called "autograph books" and basically we would list questions such as "who is your crush", "favourite friends" ...blah blah blah... and pass it around to everyone for them to answer. hahaha!

erika sorocco said...

Good grief, you're too adorable for words. Show your face more! :)

My favorite childhood memory...Disneyland. Though it was disheartening when Captain Hook refused to give me his autograph. :)

josie(bean) said...

aww you are super cute, lady!! glad you had a super fun filled weekend AND had the chance to relax now :)
as usual, I loved this post, esp. because it reminded me of how as I little girl my claim to fame was having good hair to braid, and being a hula-hoop/jumping rope champ haha. those were the days...

Brunch at Saks said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog- yours is lovely! Looking forward to reading more! :) XO

Anonymous said...

You have beautiful hair!
I can't do hair-dos either, but neither can my mom. She can do a simple braid for me, but after the age of 12, I think she's only done it for me once.

Nikolett said...

@ becks: That is such a sweet childhood memory, and don't worry, I like fulfilling requests ... maybe not the singing one, though :P you can keep trying! Were the furry thingies known as Beanie Babies or was it something else? :)

@ Andhari: Will do, for sure now! And ah, I'm glad to see I'm not alone!

@ nicole addison: Thanks sweetie :)

@ Jessica: OMG the Moffatts ... "misery, is what I feel, when you're not around, so I can't heal!" Classic!

@ Kristin: Aw, that sounds like a really nice trip :) And thanks!

@ Chelsea Talks Smack: That is truly adorable, aww!!

@ Archana: Thanks so much! My hair is naturally straight and stubborn, so I envy that you can control is a bit better! And that is so cute, putting on skits. I'd love to see one haha!

@ sarah: I've never done a swap either, that sounds like so much fun though! I'll comment you on your blog about it! :)

@ Kellie: Ah, classic! It seemed like it was okay to have food all over us as kids!

@ bananas.: That made me tear up, that is really sweet and I'm glad that such a happy memory can always be with you! And I'll try not to hide my face in the future :)

@ Kym: Those autograph books sound awesome! Ah, I love childhood memories :)

@ Erika: Good grief, Charlie Brown! Haha, but thank you! And I've never been to Disneyland, silly Captain Hook though!

@ josie(bean): Oh my gosh, I remember the days when hula-hooping was the coolest thing, and how I got sad that I couldn't double dutch in skipping rope. Good times! :D

@ Brunch At Saks: Thanks so much, and likewise!!

@ SassyGirl: Thanks :) It's not the healthiest but it'll do ... it's getting so long, though. And I'm probably going to be exactly like your mom when I get older!