guest blog #3: How not to suck as a patient!
Note from Nikolett: I've been taken to a state where I don't even have time to log in to blogger to put up a new guest blog! Can't wait until these next two weeks are over (though hopefully by late next week I'll be back and ready for action)! First guest blog was about witty quotes about coffee and conquering dragons; second guest blog was a key on how to be like Lady Gaga with some very fashionable pieces; and now we have a tidbit post from *Notes From The Toothfairy*, who is adorable and always a pleasure to read. Since she is a dentist, she though she'd share ways on how not to suck as a patient at the dentist! Thank you (I think I do most of these haha).

BOOH!
Hey, it's Shirley aka The Toothfairy from *Notes from the Toothfairy*! I'm guest posting for our lovely Nikolett, because she needs times to focus on school. We all know how not cool, but yet important school is, so send her some luck, everyone!
Hey, it's Shirley aka The Toothfairy from *Notes from the Toothfairy*! I'm guest posting for our lovely Nikolett, because she needs times to focus on school. We all know how not cool, but yet important school is, so send her some luck, everyone!
After reading this post, you'll know how to act or not act as a patient at the dentist.
This knowledge is all gathered from my own experience, working as a dentist for almost 2 years.
This knowledge is all gathered from my own experience, working as a dentist for almost 2 years.
Read on, and learn!
Try to brush your teeth before the appointment
Not a must, but absolutely a pre. Even if you don't brush your teeht on a regular base (yes, these people exist), please try to do so when you have to attend to a dental appointment. I don't think I have to explain how disgusting it is, working in a mouth that is not clean.
Try to come on time
Appointments are made for a reason. Dentists work on quite a strict schedule. IF all patients come one time, there's a lower chance for us to be behind this schedule. Meaning you don't have to wait so long. True, most of the time, we do run behind time, but there's always a reason for that, we don't like it either. It's really giving us more pressure and stress. So please, bear with us.
Do not bring cookies or candy
No brainer you might think. Well, apparently not to all human beings out there, because I've seen it many many times. Patients even let their kids eat them in the examination room, while I'm watching them... Just to remind you.
Do not bring McDonalds either
No brainer as well. Like I said before, this is all based on my own experiences. The times (is 2) I've caught a patient eating McD in the waiting room, I had my assistent to ask them to brush their teeth. Not being rude, but I'm just not a fan of picking meat and fries between the teeth.
Do try to spit in the spittoon
This means not on the wall, not on the floor, and not in the garbage can either. I know, it's hard sometimes, because your mouth is numb. But please, please try to spit properly. It's no fun for the assistents to wipe your spit of the wall. My assistent is darling enough to do so, but I know other collegues, who will give you a tissue and ask you politely to clean the wall yourself. LOL
I'm not brave enough for that...
Pay your bills
You work for your money, we work for our money. You don't work for free, well, we don't like to work for free either. You might think, it's easy money, working as a dentist. Big money, doing some check ups and all.
I can tell you this is not the case. The job is both physically and mentally heavy. My back, neck and shoulders are hurting, and my left hand might need operation due to overburdening.
I can tell you this is not the case. The job is both physically and mentally heavy. My back, neck and shoulders are hurting, and my left hand might need operation due to overburdening.
So, do not ignore your bills, it's not cool. If you can't pay, just try to get some arrangement, so that you can pay in smaller parts. But please, pay the bills!
Remember, we're not here to hurt you
Last but not least! Dentists are scary people. I understand that, I'm scared of them too. Therefore, we (or at least, I) will always try my very very best to comfort you and put you at ease. Try to trust us! It will work out just fine. Smile..
Hope you've learned something from this... Haha!
Love my job, a lot of dentists do too. So don't be afraid to go come see us, we're here to help you!
Good luck to Nikolett on her school things!
Loves,
Shirley
*Notes from the Toothfairy*
pic credit: weheartit
Can't believe people bring McDonald's to the dentist, haha! But thank you for the lucky Shirley, and everyone make sure to check out her blog for amazing pictures and personal stories! Hope you've all had a great and more relaxing week than I have :)


A twenty-something-year old Canadian lady who drinks a cup of coffee a day to keep the 





betterthancoffee@gmail.com | 2012
17 comments:
After reading this, I can't help but feel horrible for Shirley - what grotesque experiences one must face as a dentist. But I'm loving the tips featured here! :)
Lol, omg shirley you're scared of dentists even when you're one yourself?? that's so funny!! and cuuuuute xD
I'm guilty of the last one! She's so right when she says we need to start trusting them and not think that they'll intentionally poke us in ur gums!
Shirley, I had an incident at age 9, when someone pushed me and I broke my front teeth -_- So I've been going to the dentist most of my life and I know I will go in the future, because I want to look better than now. So I always behaved according to your points and I wanna say thanks to people like you, you really do help people and I respect you.
And you personally even more, because you're such a sweetheart and make people happy with your scribble scrabble :P
Mwhihihi, so funny to see you guys reading this post. Thanks Nikolett for hosting me here...
@Nahl: well, we do it on purpose though, kinda.... but not because we want to hurt you :P
@MKL: I've fallen on my front tooth twice, it's dead now... and it was turning grey-ish this year, so I had my friend bleach it from the inside :P
@Shirley Wow, really? Mine was grey for quite many years -_- I fixed it about 3 years ago, they pulled it out and screwed a porcelain one in. It looks good now. The other one was just partly broken, so it's healthy and only has a small bit fixed. It does not look perfect, but way better. I wouldn't think we share same experience in this. Wow.
@MKL: yeah... I'm the stupid dentist... haha.. who falls on the same tooth twice, mad dumb! But it's funny to read that you've had the same experience!
hilarious and good advice!!
lovely = ] can't believe people don't clean up before their appointments, gross!
i always floss before, too, to try to trick my dentist into thinking i've been flossing but -for some reason- she always knows the truth...lol
@sssdawna: Ofcourse we know... hahaha. :P
WOOT!!! I'm an EXCELLENT dental patient from your advice. hehehe ^_^ thanks for sharing - it was fun to read...i must definitely be sheltered - i have yet to see some of these things happen in a dental office.
I've had a bad experience with my dentist when I was a kid and since then I'm so scared whenever I have a dental appointment. I go for check-ups and everything but I'm always very nervous and I hate feeling this way =(
OMG, the things you must see. EEEK! I always brush right before. Ah ha
Nice advice. It reminds me that I have to go to a dentist too :p not that i ever have any teeth problem but that scares me!
cool pic! :)
oh man, those green lips are FIERCE!!! I love it.
Oh my gosh. I get scared going to a dentist, but know they only have my teeth at heart! Lol!
Post a Comment