Pages

serendipity on a sunday night

I'm a bit of a weirdo. I'm the type who can reread a book or rewatch a movie over and over again, always looking for new details and never getting bored or tired of it (unless I hate it). It started when I was young with 101 Dalmations. I would watch it every day when I got home from kindergarden. My grandpa, who was visiting from Poland at the time, even apparently said, "These damn dogs again?!" after about the fifteenth time of watching it. Sorry grandpa!



Another favourite? Serendipity (a.k.a. Cutest Movie Ever). You've got your John Cusack, you've got your Kate Beckinsale, and you've got your plot all based on a girl who doesn't believe in fate but then is proved wrong. This movie taught me that:


1) The ideal place to meet someone must be New York City, since there's a bajillion people there (that fact might be slightly exaggerated).
2) You're automatically cooler if you have freckles/beauty marks on your arms in the shape of constellations.
3) John Cusack is awesome.

But it also made me wonder about serendipity, this thing we call fate. The way that I met The Boy was almost serendipitous. We met on a bus after a night class, and we smiled -- and he got off the bus. But then the next week in that night class, I realized he was in my class, and I was glad he wasn't a total stranger. I left class early, and he happened to be the last person who got on the bus. We smiled again, I took out my earphones, and he came over and said 'hi' ... and just like that, boom, instant clickage. Not sure if I'd call it fate, yet I couldn't help but adore the odd and random way in which we had met each other.

Tonight, I watched (500) Days of Summer, which will probably go on the rewatch list. It's not the typical romantic comedy, and I think that's why I enjoyed it. The main girl is a bit of a heartless biatch. But the film wasn't afraid to question the audacity of love, of fate. The protagonist, Tom, goes into the film so sure that you can find your perfect soulmate -- and (SLIGHT SPOILER TIME) -- Summer pretty much takes that idea away from him but then ... adapts it to herself. I didn't like the way her character did a whole 180 at the end, but I think that's meant to show how unpredictable life can be. (END SLIGHT SPOILER TIME) And there's so many more movies like this. My Sassy Girl (both the English and Korean version), You've Got Mail, heck, even Lord of the Rings (what if Frodo Baggins never got ahold of the ring?).

Either way, this all got me thinking about serendipity, fate. What we're meant to do with our choices, and if we're even in control of them. I know this is a little heavier of a subject than I usually take on, so sorry if it's not what you're used to. But based on Wikipedia (oh boy, my university professors would frown on this sentence), I found that whether or not you believe in serendipity, you can't be looking for it.


You know that cliched line of thought, you'll find it when you least expect it? I found it can be true. Scenario 1: Girls and guys go out for a night on the town in a club hoping to hook up or find someone to be with there. Girl or guy might be expecting it. But say you do find that certain someone -- what if you went to a different club that night? What if you arrived at a different time? What if you didn't decide to hold your bladder when your favourite song came on, and when you were dancing to that certain song and still holding onto your bladder, there came that one that catches your eye? That, my friends, is a fortunate accident. (By the way, that picture is the weirdest result I found for clubbing dancing on Google Images haha).

Scenario 2: You've found yourself without a vehicle on the one day that you needed it the most. You find yourself puffing and panting and realizing how out of shape you are (story of my life) as you rush for the nearest bus or subway. You pile onto the vehicle, forgetting how uncomfortable public transportation is, and hope to find a seat but with no luck. There's a slight bump, and you almost lose your balance so you reach out for the nearest bar, sturdy wall, anything. Well, you happen to grab onto a guy's shoulder. He turns around, and he's pretty frickin' handsome. He smiles and says, "Having trouble balancing? Here, hold onto me and then we can fly away to Hawaii." Yay, fortunate accident. (And okay, maybe that last sentence wouldn't happen.) 

Since I adore Serendipity, I always find myself wondering about the word itself.

What do you think about serendipity/fate?

Does it exist? Am I simply crazy? (haha, please don't answer that last one)

Guest blogs are coming soon, just wanting to leave some food for thought instead of a recipe of the week this time around. And I think it's a combination of too much homework and watching movies as a 'reward' that's gotten me thinking way too much. Either way, I'll still try to keep up with all your blogs because they fill my days up with happiness. Hope you've all had a great weekend :)

{Images found via Google Image search.}   

btemplates

21 comments:

bananas. said...

i definitely believe in fate...in some things happening for a reason...but i'm the most firmest believer in finding "it" (love, happiness, whatever you're looking for) when you least expect it.

btw i can watch a movie over and over too. my 101 dalmations was cinderella. i would sing every song all day long.

krissy ♥ said...

I love this post :)

I am a sucker for romantic love mush and cheesy stories so yes, I do think there really is such a thing as serendipity. Besides, it's more romantic to think you are with your significant other because Fate willed you to meet, right? :)

Rohini said...

I loved (500) Days of Summer. It is such an adorable movie and Zory D. looks fab. :)
Xx

Anonymous said...

I adore that movie, Serendipity, and totally believe in fate and all that lovely stuff. All of my life is because something else has happened... I can't even explain in words cus I'm so tired.

Bon nuit!

ps. Can you email my EMAIL instead of TWITTER and give me info on the guest blog post?? Merci XOXO

Melissa said...

i've probably watched "serendipity" a million times, and despite how unprobable/unrealistic the plot is,I still love it!! In regards to fate, I totally believe in it. I think that there are just some things in life that are "meant to be" just like you and your Boy for example ;)

Honey Bee said...

I love this post. Very well thought out, and written.
I definitely believe in fate. I think the big things are all written out there, but the small things we do have a control over. Like for instance, if it's written who I'm going to marry and whether my marriage will work out or not, the daily instances that I might come across in my marriage are all upto me.I can change the outcome of my fate with my choices and prayers, because what's written is not that life will take this particular turn, what's written is that I'm the kind of person who will take choice A instead of B. Am I making sense? Anyway, what I mean to say is...fate is definitely written but I still hold the reins to everything.

Carlito86 said...

Ahh...I think that this just might happen to be my most favourite blog post I have read all week, and the best blog post that you have written. I love it! I love both films mentioned - Serendipity and 500 Days of Summer (Love the Ikea scene!!).

Thinking about it freaks me out!

There is a guy I fancy like mad on my bus and I know he likes me...I want to be like you and your man and speak to him. I'm going to smile at him if I see him tonight. :)

xxx

Addict said...

I think the movie is the greatest thing ever and I could re-watch it a million times! In real life... idk I guess I think its always a combination of fate/luck/effort

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I think that something outta this world took me to that fateful temp job where I met the hubs! And 500 Days of Summer...sigh...SUCH and amazing flick!

Meg said...

Hi!
I wanted to let you know another (slightly weirder) movie kind of about serendipity that I watched awhile ago... it's called "happy accidents" and i think it stars Vincent D'Onofrio & Marisa Tomey. It is romantic and beautiful - and weird - my kind of movie!
About serendipity itself... I'm kind of undecided. I don't believe that you are put into situations so that a certain something will happen to you, but I don't believe that everything is simply coincidence either. Hm. I'll keep thinking.
Lastly (sorry, but your in-depth post called for an in-depth comment!) I have a few re-watch movies of my own, but they're all "girl power" movies... The Sweetest Thing (Cameron Diaz, Christina Applegate), She's the Man (Amanda Bynes), and Charlie's Angels (which right now I am looking for desperately, Drew Barrymore, Lucy Liu, Cameron Diaz) are probably my top three, and I add more all the time!
Have a great day :)

erika sorocco said...

I heart you for posting this, Nikolett; and I think it is truly adorable the way that you met The Boy. Sometimes, I do think that the world works in mysterious ways - like planets align in a certain way to ensure that you will be somewhere at the right place and time to meet the boy or girl of your dreams.

And now I need to rent Serendipity and (500) Days of Summer - I haven't seen either, and am convinced I must; especially since I'm headed to New York in about 6 weeks! :)

Sierra said...

Good post sweetie! I am like 50% 50% on fate. I think we create things to happen and we have to put ourselves in situations where we meet people. But...I also know God has a plan and that things are meant to be. So either way I guess I do believe in fate, but I know that it is determined by choices we make if that makes sense.

elmie said...

i don't think i've ever seen Serendipity, but now that you've reminded me I might just get round to it.

I think watching a movie the second time (or more) is actually the best way to know if it is good or not. ^_^

Carlito86 said...

Me again :)

I thought of you last night, I watched this and I cried and loved it :) xx

Toothfairy said...

I believe in fate... kinda... can't explain though.

And I can rewatch/reread things too, but that's because I just forget the plots! hahaha...


Is it ok, if I send you the post this weekend? or is that too late? if it's too late, I can do it tomorrow... :)


loves

Nikolett said...

@ bananas.: I pretty much agree with everything you said, so true! And I've only seen 'Cinderella' once ... I feel ashamed!

@ //krissy: Aww, thank you. And I definitely agree, it's more romantic to think that way :)

@ CC: Agree, and agree! Wish I could copy Zooey's wardrobe and put it into my closet haha.

@ Margarita: Aww, get some sleep then! But yeah ... definitely think fate has worked some magic in your life :) And "Serendipity" is the bestest!

@ Melissa: Girl, you made me blush with that comment about me and The Boy! And yes, "Serendipity" is an amazing movie, never fails to make me smile :)

@ Nahl: Thank you so much, and don't worry, you definitely made sense. So well-written, too. I definitely think that there's been several paths laid out for us, but it's up to us to choose where we want to go with them. Thanks for your comment!

@ Girl With The Golden Touch: Okay, you just made me blush hardcore. Glad it was your favourite of the week! And that Ikea scene is adorable, I would love to do it in real life haha. You know I'm going to be asking you about the man on the bus :)

Nikolett said...

@ Addict: I was really expecting some 'I hate this film' comments so I'm happy everyone really loves it! And I like your combination ... definitely think that's true, as well!

@ Kristin: Aww, that is so cute. I was secretly hoping this post would tempt people to share how they met with their significant other :)

@ Megara: Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out for sure! And I LOVE your in-depth comment and all your "girl power" movies -- I've probably seen "She's The Man" about a dozen times!

@ Erika: Your comment gave me the biggest smile, you are too sweet. And (500) Days Of Summer is set in L.A., but basically any big city will do for serendipity, methinks! Hope you get to watch both movies and I'm SO jealous you get to go to NYC!

@ OceanDreams: Definitely makes sense! I feel the same way. I believe that there are certain things pre-determined, but it's up to us whether we want to choose something else or not.

@ eMz: Yay, glad you don't think I'm a weirdo for rewatching movies! "Serendipity" is a bit of an 'oldie' now, but it's always a goodie!

@ Girl With The Golden Touch: *HUGS* Heart you!

@ Toothfairy: Aww, you are too sweet. I'm the same way with thriller-type movies; you'd think you wouldn't be able to watch them again and again but I usually forget what happens! And I sent you an e-mail but I'm not sure if you got it but I can definitely wait for the post, not to worry!

Carlito86 said...

Hello beautiful! (Don't think I've ever commented three times on the same post lol). I tagged you with an award on my blog so have a look from tomorrow hon.

I also...watched this film three times last week and I might watch it again tonight. I just can't get enough of it. And, alas, I did not really see the bus boy last week! Heres hoping to this week!

Much love xxxxxx

Micaela said...

i believe in fate... but i also believe that timing is everything in love.

i believe tragic love is still the best romances in one's life.

500 Days of Summer- LOVED it because it was so refreshing.

& "My Sassy Girl"- LOVED IT!!! i had a friend who told me to watch it because he said i reminded her of the main character.

the 10 rules for dating someone? i had written one for my then very nice guy who... timing wasn't on our side.

so though i believe in fate... i believe timing has the last word.

Unknown said...

I do that too! I can read a book or watch a movie I love over and over and over.

And I definitely believe in fate. I think everything happens for a reason and people come in and out of your life for a reason, sometimes you just can't figure out why.

Great blog!

the romantic said...

cute story! i love finding out how people met (i have a sweet tooth for romance)

http://my-lovesweettooth.blogspot.com/