Pages

therapeutic thursday: friday edition

Yesterday, I felt the furthest thing from relaxed, the complete opposite of calm. Thoughts of the future usually puts me into hysterics, because I feel like I need to have everything in its place, everything determined. The thought that someone else's decision will impact the rest of my life ... it frightens me. But sometimes, you have to let go. By the end of the night I felt happier, more relaxed. Not necessarily carefree, but realizing I don't have to be in control of everything all the time. Because in reality, all I can control are my choices, my reactions to things. 

In the spirit of being therapeutic, here is a list of things that help me when I've got all Psycho Crazy. I call it the Things That Help Me When I'm Psycho Crazy list (very original, eh?). 

Put away the tissues, hide the box of delicious cookies, and try to find ways to relax that will make you feel better about yourself rather than wallowing in self-pity (of course, we all have those days, but this is a more positive list, y'see).

1) HUGS. When I had a bit of a breakdown yesterday on campus, I went to see The Boy after his class in need of one thing: a hug. Sometimes, just having someone show you they care is enough. And if you don't happen to have anyone nearby, virtual hugs are just as good. You might not have arms actually wrapped around you, but knowing that someone from a distance cares about you is comforting (I'm looking at you, Little Tiara and Andhari, who offered me virtual hugs from afar). Even Darth Vader needs hugs.


2) WORKING OUT ... followed by a bubble bath. I know, working out is torturous. Especially at the gym, right? So work out at home. Find some online exercise videos (ones at Exercisetv.tv and the Beach Bum series are some of my favourites). Those trainers won't judge you, they'll just do a quick 10-minute workout using your own body weight. Working out is one of my best ways to just forget about things and concentrate on being healthy. And though I'm not the biggest fans of baths, a bubble bath is a great way to just relax after all that working out you just did!

 

3) MUSIC. Followed by dancing. Music is one of those indescribeable gifts of life. To be able to put feelings into beautiful words, accompanied by tones and instruments ... whether you like listening to soft tracks that soothe the soul or screamo to shout out the pain (whatever floats your boat!), I find music to be one of the most relaxing things you can do when you're stressed out.And dancing your heart out helps, too.

4) HOT CHOCOLATE. Followed by sleeping. Instead of devouring a whole pint of ice cream/box of chocolates/(insert your food of choice here), have some hot cocoa. It's warm, so it will soothe you, and it's still got that chocolatey goodness. Alternative: some tea, either herbal or regular. Also amazing. And of course, SLEEP. It might be hard to shut out the thoughts that make you stressed, but after the first three things and realizing that tomorrow is a new day (carpe diem and all that), hopefully you'll rest easier.

Annnd, a last one, inspired by Manju

5) MAKING A CHANGE ... like a haircut. I'm getting a haircut today, to get rid of the split ends and hopefully look good for the ball I'm going to tonight. There's something so relaxing about having someone massage your hair and then cut it ... taking a little load off, making your head a little lighter to think about other things. It doesn't have to be a big change. It can be something like adding one cup of water to your daily routine, or deciding to cut out one Starbucks drink a week and putting that extra $5 towards something you're looking forward to if you're strapped for cash. Just try to make one change that will help you, not hurt you.



So, what helps you when you feel yourself going nutsy crazy psycho lady?
And if you never have, I salute you and want to learn your secrets.

Last but not least, I want to thank Sarah from Class and Coffee for this amazing award:
This definitely makes me feel simply fabulous, haha. Thank you!!
The rules require me to blog about a woman who I think is fabulous. This woman can be someone I know in real life, a celebrity, or a fictional character. Then, I must pass the award on to five other fabulous bloggers.

There were honestly three people who came to mind: first, one of my closest friends who has dealt with so much but still keeps strong; I admire her so much. Secondly is my Mom, who is amazing and plays video games while still keeping the house in good order, working a job, and caring for her family.

But I knew the one woman who is the most fabulous is: my sister, Margarita. The name of her blog itself shows that: Ramblings of a Fab Brunette.

Apart from being fabulous, she's one of the most generous people I know. She doesn't give herself enough credit, methinks. She'll always be the one to send an amazing card through the mail, one who will take care of a poor sister with expensive books (thank you!), and who has gone through so many changes in her life. She's gotten to experience and see so many things in life, that I could only imagine about or dream of.

She was the one who got me into webdesign and Adobe Photoshop. I was the one who loved Spice Girls before her, but we bonded over our love for Posh Spice. And now, my sister is a bit like Posh Spice herself. She has a great man, an amazing daughter (even though Posh has sons), a fabulous sense of style, and a heart of gold.

And I hope you don't mind that I just rambled about you for three paragraphs, sis (tee-hee). The pictures from the right are some of my fave recent memories including singing Aerosmith's Don't Wanna Miss A Thing for my parents' 25th anniversary. I miss you!


I hope you all have an amazing weekend!
I'm headed to a ball tonight, so expect pictures soon!

btemplates

15 comments:

Manju said...

ooohhhh so cool! i want a darth vader hug too hahaha

picturesssss nikolett! show us pics of the haircut :)

rachaelgking said...

Awwww, thank you so much. I adore you AND your sister!!! You guys are freaking adorbs.

Unknown said...

Great post hun!!!
It is always tough to not make lists and to just let things go as they should be...unplanned that is. But once we do, we discover that life happens accordingly and we can't predict the future.

Have an amazing weekend. Luved the pics.

Anonymous said...

Oh God. I am sitting here LAUGHING about the second picture. I first saw the top one and I was like *aww* we both look SO good and then BLAM. Crazy singing girls.

*blushing*

Thanks for the kind words. Hey do you remember when you used to "do your hair like Posh". Tee-hee. Sorry just had to add that in. Maybe you should ask the hairstylist to do Posh circa 1998. LOL

erika sorocco said...

Oh, I love you for this post, Nikolett. Hugs, hot chocolate, music...just a few of my favorite things!

Congratulations on the award darling; and I absolutely adore you for passing it on to me - you've made my day! Happy, Happy Weekend my love!! :)

Claudine said...

Taking a bubble bath or a warm shower always gets me out of funk.

Have a great weekend!

Andhari said...

No worries babe, I'm here whenever so just write to me anytime :) I'll occupy you with pretty irrelevant distracting stuff. Probably we can sing and dance from a far too. Do you watch Glee? It always cheers me up. And that teacher is just hot, he should be illegal. Mmmmm..and there I go being a perv again.

Anyhooo, love your picture with Margarita, both of you are fab!:)

krissy ♥ said...

When I am feeling the blues I just get my journal and write away. Or I surf the Internet mindlessly. Or I read a book. Or I eat Skittles! They are my happy pills :)

Your relationship with your sister makes me wish I have an older sister! As it is, I am the eldest of three (I have a younger brother and sister), so I guess now I will go and lavish all my attention to my younger sister! :D

Anonymous said...

Hi. I dropped by here and I love reading your blog ;)
I like the list that you made, and I think I would do something similar when I'm down in the dumps, esp the hugs and the exercise (endorphins). But i would definitely add shopping to that list too. :D

Phoebe R.
http://projectll.tumblr.com

Honey Bee said...

I put on my favourite show..an episode after an episode, or read a book. The stories make me forget my world for a bit.

nicole mountz said...

i need to try all of those things!! i love the pic of you and your sis, you guys are two of my faves:) glad you had a fun night last night, your tweets are killing me! haha, xo!

Juliana said...

I love this post. I saw you on 2O something and am your newest follower. I cannot drink coffee because of my ticker, but do not count that against me, because I still love your blog!

Sara said...

Hello, lovely list!

G said...

i want bangs! but i'm afraid.

Carlito86 said...

Aww thank you for giving me this award! Sorry for not stopping by to say thanks sooner hon I've been v busy and just bloging when I can! Thanks againxxxxx