Pages

dear diary ...

Though my entries tend to be very scatterbrained at times, a usual theme involves nostalgia -- looking back on weekends, memories, and thinking about the past. I try to do this in a positive way rather than a boo-hoo, where has life taken me because, as cliché as it sounds, life's too short to live with regret, it's better just to live with lessons and move forward, right-o? 

So this little segment (might be weekly, might be monthly) is dedicated to one of my favourite nostalgic things to do - and the best source of distraction when sorting through my bookshelves - reading my diaries. From about 1995 to 2007 I've found five ... and I know there's at least one more. I'll admit, most of them are filled half-way and then for some unexplainable reason seem to just end, but it's sentimental looking back on where I've come from and what I've learned -- both in spelling and in life. 

To start things off, I'm looking at the very beginning - my first ever journal entry, written in 1995 (7 years old). Fitting, since my sister called me a 5-year old in yesterday's post and this isn't far off from that. My writing is horrible, so in case you can't read it, I have it written out below the image (spelling errors and all):

 Names have been omitted to protect the innocent ... or guilty.

"L— and A— are my best friends but some times I don't like whan we get in figtes but soon its over then we have fun. Today I was in gym and R— said I was suck at soccer but it was also over soon. Mr. B— is so funny but we some times we get in troble. I like school a lot we play and read and we do MATH it so fun. MY fameily is fun I have a Pocahantas Book from The Book Fair and a pencell and a bookMARK and it saids 'There are wonderful thigs to see if only we will start to open our eyes and mind but especially our heart.'"

I am face-palming for saying "MATH it so fun" - especially since I am horrible at math now and am majoring in English. And apparently as a child I got over things (or thigs) a lot easier than I did later on in my childhood and teenage years - whereas back then I kept saying it was "over soon", my later years involved a lot of going over the same bad things over and over ... ah to be lighthearted and owning a Pocahontas pencell (another face-palm). But at least I was using lovely quotes at an early age?

The greatest thing about this journal? It's a Babysitters Club journal:

I hope someone else (besides my sister) has read this series!

So if you don't mind looking back at my horrible grammar and my silly ways, I'm hoping I can do this every once and a while from my numerous journals. We'll call any from this set the Baby-Sitters Club Journal or something. Does anybody else have their diaries from their childhood, or still own one today? Feel free to join in if you don't mind sharing :)

And now, I am off to study for a Monday exam.
Hope you all have a beautiful weekend!
What do you have planned?

btemplates

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I tossed out my old diaries, lol. I miss Baby-Sitters Club.

Ebbiemae said...

I loved the babysitters club and babysitters little sister books! I still have my collection and all of my diaries and journals. I got my first one when I was 4 and I've kept one off and on ever since. If I can find them I'll post some of mine too and share the link :)
xo cait

the girl in stiletto said...

omgd!!! i love the babysitter's club! i used to have mary ann's hair at some point in my childhood simply because i loved the book so much :p good luck with monday's exam :)

Unknown said...

What a wonderful idea!!!

Lordy knows where or what i did with mine. All i know is that i only had ONE and i stopped writing in it in the 7th grade...when someone who wasn't suppose to read it did and it caused a BIG huge mess of sorts :(

Haha...i love remembering the past and things we wrote. I bet we're in for a few stories!!!

josie(bean) said...

hahaha omg i heart this and you! i had a ton of journals from way back when and it's funny since my handwriting looks a lot like yours (perhaps all 5-7 yr olds write the same?). i definitely go back when im feeling nostalgic and re-read all my little pages of silly, "private" notes. always a good time :)

have a good weekend miss!

krissy ♥ said...

This is so cute! I wish I still have my old diaries but they perished in the big fire :( I think I still have the ones I had in high school, though! I will def look for them when I go back to my parents'! :D

Anonymous said...

Aweee that's such a cute little diary entry! My old diaries would have been excellent for this feature....but I think I threw them out a couple of years ago because i was scared that someone might come across them. :P

P.S: I used to LOVE the babysitters' club!

littletiara said...

My GOODNESS! I can comment on blogger again! Better grab the chance before it's leaving me again, I don't even know what's happening, hahahaha...

Okay, so that scribble was cute! Like seriously cute, and I do have my diaries too! I still keep like... three of them, I think. Or four. I love writing since young age? ;P

and I love the quote you said there, omg! Haha, when I read back my diaries, it's all about... well, uh... romance, lol. seriously Tiara...

Too bad I can't show it off... I wrote em all in Indonesian, but maybe someday later I will, just so I can show off my pretty diaries, haha, they're pink and purple and flowery. o.o lol

Is this comment long enough to pay my absence? :D

Becky said...

Ohhhhh Baby-Sitters Club! FYI, Ann M. Martin just came out with a book "The Baby-Sitters Club: The Summer Before." :)

Amanda said...

So, I was in one of those book clubs in elementary school where you get 4 books a month from Scholastic - I now have over 100 BSC books in rubbermaids at my mom's house. I tried to donate them in 2008 because I couldn't transport them cross country, but sneaky mom saved them. Her logic was that they were out of print, and wouldn't I want my children to have them?? :)

Oh my word, I can't even begin to imagine my diaries...got my first one in 4th grade I think and I'm pretty sure it's around here somewhere!

And yes, I lived in Paris for 6 months in 2008 (my final semester of college). I will definitely share more France stories :) I loved it!

Sara said...

awww how cute are you!! SO CUTE!

erika sorocco said...

A Babysitters Club journal! Ohmigosh I adore it! I always wanted to be Dawn growing up; now I think I'd rather be Claudia because she is so amazingly stylish. Who did you want to be?

Good luck studying for your exam, my love!! :)

Andhari said...

Math is so FUN????

Do I even know you?

LOL kidding boo. I was always a lazy child ( not to say I'm not lazy now). My favorite classes are art ( i love glitters and crayons), English and of course lunch time :p

bananas. said...

growing up i had several diaries, alway unfinished eyt full of juiy details. haha.

wish i knew where they are now...

oh and LOVED me some BSC!

Diary of a Young Designer said...

That is so lovely that you still have your diaries and can look back in such a sweet way. Mine are someplace lost around my huge bookshelf, probably hidden so my mom and sis can't find, lol. And I soo totally miss the babysitters club, I was watching a few episodes on youtube the other day btw.

xo
Sophie

Belle ♥ said...

I think math is fun, too.. But not that much. LOL
Oh, and I love BSC, too! Those were one if my fave reads way back in elementary, along with Sweet Valley and Nancy Drew. :)

Unknown said...

This is such an ace idea! The next time I go home, I'm going to look for my old diaries! I know I have at least one with me here at uni but that's a little bit more grown up (16years onwards) and I prefer your idea of starting from the beginning.

I only ever read a little bit of BSC but preferred Sweet Valley High, Nancy Drew and something we had here in the UK called Point Horror (don't know whether they made it to international stardom) but basically just teen horror books.

p.s. I still think Math(s) is kinda fun lol.

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

I used to collect BabySitter's Club books. Then it came out on tv and I stopped reading them and just watched it whenever it was on. Your writing is soooo cute. This post really brought me back to a time when life was so simple, to a time when I was a kid. =) I wish we could all be as lighthearted and carefree as kids are. =)

Katy said...

I use to write in a journal too before I discovered blogging but I stopped because I wrote too much and my hands always got too tired. I ripped up most of my journals early on in high school though because they were embarrassing and whiny... I was such an angry child!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

OMG, I had the same one. I must dig it out!

Sierra said...

Ha ha I have the same one too and I love seeing your journal entries - adorable!

Leesh said...

I read The Babysitter's Club too. I wish I kept all the books because I would totally read them all over again. Although I am over 30, I love reading teen books.

I kept a journal when I was in high school but some boy found it. I grabbed it from him before he could read it. This incident spooked me so I threw all of them out. I now wish I had kept them instead of freaking out.